Trying to get started.

• Hello. I am returning to an IT career after taking time out to teach. I am looking to set up SQL Server on my windows 8.1 PC and do some refresher training to get back into the swing of things.

I know I can buy SQL Server 2014 developer edition for a modest fee. Will this include Business Intelligence Development Studio..? If not can anyone recommend a trail version of BIDS or do I need to incorporate it into my Visual Studio Community Edition..?

My overall goal is to get a working version SQL Server on my PC and be able to practice some business intelligence such as SSIS and SSRS.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

• You can download BIDS free:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42313

Phil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

• Thanks for your reply.

Two Q's. Does anyone now if this is compatible with Visual Studio Community..?

And, I would imagine I need to find a trial of an older version of SQL Server rather than buy 2014 Developer Edition.

• nigelevenden (2/9/2015)

And, I would imagine I need to find a trial of an older version of SQL Server rather than buy 2014 Developer Edition.

You imagine wrong 😉

It should be fine with VS, or at least it should install alongside that VS

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply