trying to connect to a SQL Server - can you help me debug?

• I've been tasked to get SQL Server database up and running. I have a machine that's used to host SQL Server that I'm RDC'ing into. I'm trying to assess the current state of the SQL Server installation on the server. The program list from the start button shows the following programs:

MS SS 2008 R2 >

Import and Export Data (32-bit)

Import and Export Data (64-bit)

SSMS

Analysis Services

Configuration Tools

Integration Services

Performance Tools

However, I can't connect to (local) with Windows Authentication. I've also tried File > Connect Object Explorer > Options>> > Connect to database <Browse Server...> which displays a message: "SQL Server not found or not accessible".

When I go to Control Panel > Uninstall Programs, "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2" is listed as a program available for uninstall so it looks like SS 2008 is installed.

Is this most likely a permissions issue? How can I go about debugging/solving this issue?

• Is the SQL Server service running?

Start>Run>Services.msc

Sort by name and look at the status of the sql server service. If the service is not started, try starting it.

• If the service is running, check the "name" of the service. When you went to the services list, the "name" will be in parentheses next to the service name, something like:

SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)

The above denotes that the "name" of the instance is MSSQLSERVER (which is the default instance name) and you would be able to connect to it using "local", as you stated. If the name is something different, you'll have to use that name to connect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • Thanks for the responses everybody. I was able to locate the MSSQLSERVER service through services.msc.

However, the "Log On As" network user ID for the service belongs to a manager I work with.

When I right-click the service and click "Start" from the context menu the system returns the following message: "Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure"

Does this mean that the manager has to be the one logged on to the server in order to start the service? Or does this mean that the manager's network user ID no longer has permissions to start the service?

Sorry if this is a basic question - I'm not a DBA....

• The service will attempt to start as that user, I'm guessing that the manager's user account was disabled.

I would request a new Domain user account and password, then use the SQL Server Configuration Manager to change the owner of the SQL Server service account. If you don't have a domain, create a local Windows account and set it as the owner of the service.

Reference here for more detail, but it should be fairly straightforward:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx

Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply