Trouble on installing SQL Server Express

• I'm new to SQL Server and have recently download and successfully installed SQL Server Express. I'm able to start and stop the installed instance on my local host. However, when attempting to login using SQL Server Manager Express, (I use SQL Server Authorization), I'm receiving this error message:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

I'm receiving the same error regardless of whether the service is started or not. Can anybody point me in the right direction in fixing this problem?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the last post I connected to the server using ODBC and OLE DB. SQL Native client is the only technology that is not functioning. So I'm assuming that SQL Server Manager Express uses Native Client to connect.

• Connect to <localcomputername>\SQLEXPRESS
  • Thanks for your response. I've attempted to register this server: <localcomputername>\SQLEXPRESS. It appears in the drop down list, but when I attempt to register/login, I get the error message indicated in my original post.

• Try this:

Make sure that you are logged in as the account who installed SQL Express.  Use "Windows Authentication" to log in to the server.

Have a good day,

Norene Malaney

• You also need to make sure that the protocols are enabled.  Go to the SQL Server Configuration Manager under Configuration Tools and make sure that TCP/IP and Named Pipes are enabled under SQL Server Network Configuration.

Also check to make sure that remote clients can connect under the SQL Server Surface Area configuration (Services and Connections).  Under Database Engine check the properties for Remote Connections.  I hope this helps.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply