Triggers and INSERTED

• I have a trigger on a master table that I want to conditionally update a single field of all child rows in the child table. But when it runs, it returns an error...

Subquery returned more than one vaule.  This is not permitted when a subquery follows =, !=, <, <=, >, >=, or is used as an expression.  The statement has been terminated.

The trigger:

ALTER TRIGGER dbo.rb_CascadePendingFlag
    ON dbo.RateBook
    FOR UPDATE
    AS
    DECLARE @p AS BIT
    DECLARE @rbID as udt_RateBookID
    /*
    *Cascade an update of IsPending = 0 down to rate sheets. Ratesheet table
    *should only cascade an update of IsPending = 1 up to Ratebook to avoid
    *a circular cascade
    */

IF UPDATE(IsPending)
    BEGIN
    SET @p = (SELECT IsPending FROM INSERTED)
    SET @rbID = (SELECT RateBookID FROM INSERTED)

IF @p = 0
    BEGIN
    UPDATE Ratesheet
    SET IsPending = 0
    WHERE
    FK_RateBookID = @rbID

--FK_RateBookID IN (SELECT RateBookID FROM inserted)
    END
    END

Using creative commenting, I've determined that the offending line is

SET @rbID = (SELECT RateBookID FROM INSERTED)

Also, when I uncomment the same line in the WHERE clause, it returns the same error. So, my question is, when are there multiple records in inserted for a unique record when it's getting updated?

Note that I get this error when I change the value of the IsPending field for a single record in a grid. I have also tried limiting the SELECT by using TOP 1, to no avail.

Thx.

-------

at us, very deafly, a most stares

collosal hoax of clocks and calendars

eecummings

-------

eecummings

• This error happens when more than one record is in the Inserted table. This can easily happen on an Update trigger.

For example, consider the statement:

Update MyTable Set MyField = 1

If you had an Update trigger on MyTable, the inserted table would have one row for each row in MyTable.

To work around this, you need to code for the multi-row situation. Code like this should work:

IF UPDATE(IsPending)

BEGIN

Update Ratesheet

Set IsPending = 0 --(always set to 0?)

From RateSheet r

INNER JOIN inserted i on r.FK_RateBookID = i.RateBookID

INNER JOIN deleted d on i.RateBookID = d.RateBookID

WHERE i.IsPending <> d.isPending -- Only if IsPending changed

END

• quote:

This error happens when more than one record is in the Inserted table. This can easily happen on an Update trigger.

Oh, I understand this. But this error is returned when I'm changing a single record in a grid, the grid in Enterprise Manager precisely. Logically, the INSERTED table should only contain a single record. Academic, though...I see that I need to code this way.

This 'IsPending' field is only changed to false (0) because the changing records in the child table, marking a document 'Pending', runs a trigger updating the IsPending field in the parent table to true (1).

The trigger here will allow me to mark the master as 'not pending' and have that change cascasde down to the child records.

Question: why do you need

WHERE i.IsPending <> d.isPending -- Only if IsPending changed

if I use

IF UPDATE(IsPending)

?

-------

eecummings

-------

eecummings

• IF UPDATE(IsPending) tell you that for at least one of the row(s) the column IsPending was changed.

The part WHERE i.IsPending <> d.isPending check each row to determine for which of the row(s) did the IsPending actially changed. Other the before value of IsPending is not the same as the after value.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply