Triggers

• I think the correct answer (like the max number of indexes per table) is 'Too Many'

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (12/22/2011)

I think the correct answer (like the max number of indexes per table) is 'Too Many'

How many is 'too many'? 🙂

• Revenant (12/22/2011)

GilaMonster (12/22/2011)

I think the correct answer (like the max number of indexes per table) is 'Too Many'

How many is 'too many'? 🙂

One more than 'just right'. 😀

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Happy to have chosen the wrong answer. 🙂

32 seems much more reasonable anyway.

• Thanks for the question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• thanks for the question... certainly agree that you probably don't want to push things to those limits tho! 🙂

• SQL Kiwi (12/22/2011)

Happy to have chosen the wrong answer. 🙂

32 seems much more reasonable anyway.

Trouble with choosing a number for limits like this one is that you have only three possibilities: you can choose (1) a number that is high enough to be silly (32 probably qualifies), (2) a number that is low enough that it will inconvenience someone (24 probably qualifies), or (3) choose not to have an individual limit for this thing but let it share in some great big pool where the number it uses is just noise level. Trying to pick something high enough that fewer than 1 person in 3 will regard it as falling into (2) at the same time as being low enough that fewer than 1 in 3 will regard it as falling into (1) is futile, so the easy way out is to go for option (3).

I don't know whether that's the logic MS used when deciding not to have an individual limit for triggers per table.

Tom

• Thanks for the question.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply