• I have the following trigger in my db:

CREATE

TRIGGER [trgValidateOrderTypeSubType]

ON [dbo].[ORDER_MASTER]

AFTER INSERT,UPDATE

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;

IF ((select ORDER_TYPE_ID from inserted) IS NOT NULL AND (select ORDER_SUB_TYPE_ID from inserted) IS NOT NULL)

BEGIN

IF ( (SELECT COUNT(lstl.ID) FROM ORDER_SUB_TYPE_LOOKUP lstl, inserted WHERE lstl.ORDER_TYPE_ID = INSERTED.ORDER_TYPE_ID AND lstl.[ID] = inserted.ORDER_SUB_TYPE_ID) < 1)

BEGIN

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

RAISERROR (N'Order Type and Order Sub Type do not match.',11,1)

END

END

END

When I try to run an Update statement against the ORDER_MASTER table which updates multiple rows, I get the following error:

Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.

I imagine that what's causing this error is the statement:

IF ((select ORDER_TYPE_ID from inserted) IS NOT NULL AND (select ORDER_SUB_TYPE_ID from inserted) IS NOT NULL)

in the trigger. However, I don't know what to do about it. I only want the validation to occur if both fields are not null. I thought that the inserted table only contains one row at a time. Apparently, I am wrong. Any advice?

Thanks,

T

• Try not using the SELECT in the expresion, but rather set the values to a variable and then evaluate the variable.

• How would that help? Then I'd be assigning multiple values to a single variable.

• You are correct as to the code that is causing the problem.  If you are inserting/updating multiple rows, the trigger will fire once after the update, not once per row.  The inserted table will contain all of the inserted/updated rows.  If you need to evaluate one row at a time, I would suggest using an aggregate function instead of a cursor.  It looks like you want to rollback the transaction if any of the order types or sub types are NULL.  Is this correct?  What are the datatypes for ORDER_TYPE_ID and ORDER_SUB_TYPE_ID?

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Why not simply create a foreign key constraint and let the database engine handle it ?

If you absolutely must code it in a trigger, make it set-based to handle multiple rows:

CREATE TRIGGER [trgValidateOrderTypeSubType]

ON [dbo].[ORDER_MASTER]

AFTER INSERT,UPDATE

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON

If Exists (

Select *

From inserted As i

Where Not Exists (

Select *

From ORDER_SUB_TYPE_LOOKUP lstl

Where lstl.ORDER_TYPE_ID = i.ORDER_TYPE_ID

And   lstl.[ID] = i.ORDER_SUB_TYPE_ID

)

)

Begin

ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

RAISERROR (N'Order Type and Order Sub Type do not match.',11,1)

End

END

• Thank you - I think that should work. Here's my table structure, which hopefully explains why a simple foreign key isn't enough.

Order_Master - contains all order fields including order_type_id (int) and order_sub_type_id (int)

Order_type_lookup - ID (int), Descr (varchar) - a lookup table for order_type_id. there's a foreign key set up on Order_master which references this table

Order_Sub_Type_Lookup - ID (int), Descr (varchar), Order_type_id (int - foreign key from Order_type_lookup) - this table is a lookup for order_sub_types and a mapping table that maps order types to sub types. There's a foreign key set up on Order_master which references this table.

I need validation that checks that the order_type and sub_type (if they are not null) are, in fact, related in the Order_sub_type_lookup table. Since there can be order types without sub types (but not vice versa), I can't make the foreign key for order_Type_id look at the Order_sub_type_lookup table. Therefore, I need a trigger to validate that the 2 fields are related.

Thanks for your help!

• PW provided a good trigger solution.

However, I want to point out that in your original trigger code, the first IF statement is not necessary. In the later query, you are matching both order_type_id and order_sub_type_id from the inserted table. If either of these values is null, that row from inserted won't match anything at all, which appears to be what you were trying to accomplish with the first IF statement.

• Thanks, Stephanie. I realized that when I tried implementing the trigger. I think the sql I'm going to go with is:

SET NOCOUNT ON

IF EXISTS (
        SELECT * FROM inserted i
        WHERE ORDER_SUB_TYPE_ID IS NOT NULL AND NOT EXISTS (
            SELECT * FROM ORDER_SUB_TYPE_LOOKUP ostl WHERE ostl.ORDER_TYPE_ID = i.ORDER_TYPE_ID AND ostl.[ID] = i.ORDER_SUB_TYPE_ID)
    )
    BEGIN
        ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

RAISERROR (N'OrderType and Order Sub Type are not related.',11,1)

END

I do want to check that sub type is not null because, if it is, I don't have to worry about the whole relationship thing. On the other hand, if order_type is null and sub_type is not, that in itself is invalid and will also be caught by this sql.

Thank you all for your help!
  • Would not a foreign key contraint be easier ?

Assuming that ORDER_TYPE_ID and ORDER_SUB_TYPE_ID are the primary key of table ORDER_SUB_TYPE_LOOKUP:

Alter table ORDER_MASTER

add constraint ORDER_SUB_TYPE_LOOKUP_FK_ORDER_MASTER

foreign key (ORDER_TYPE_ID ,ORDER_SUB_TYPE_ID )

references ORDER_SUB_TYPE_LOOKUP

go

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• No can do. Not all order  types have a sub type so not all order types will be in the sub_type table. Therefore, I need the order_type foreign key to be on the ORDER_TYPE_LOOKUP and the order_sub_type foreign key to be on the ORDER_SUB_TYPE_LOOKUP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply