Transfer delimited files to database

• Hi everybody.

I have several delimited files and want to transfer their content to a database. Before asking on this forum, I've been browsing this site and the net and heard about open source ETL tools easy to use for non technical users.

Can these products really be used by people who dont have much technical background like me and which one do you think would be the best for my purposes ?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

• You shouldn't need an open source ETL tool, SQL 2005 ships with SSIS which is as good as any other ETL tool out there and about as easy to use. There is a wizard that you can use to get started importing files.

You can either use SSIS, or if your files are simple and do not require much manilpulation then you can use a bulk-copy.

• Hello everyone.

First off, steveb is correct. SSIS is a good option, why not try that?

Then if you want to use ETL tools, give an open source tool a try.

Since you describe yourself as a non-technical user, I won't waste your time with technical considerations. Simply put, Talend Open Studio is an open source ETL tool with a user-friendly GUI, easy to learn for a non-technical user. But what really distinguishes Talend from other tools, when it comes to business users, is the tMap component which allows the user to get a graphical and functional view of integration processes.

Now back to your question, do you only have CSV files or also other files?

Visit Talend[/URL] and Talendforge[/URL] for open source ETL and data integration.

• Also, if you have access to SQL Server Management Studio, you can right-click on your db in the object explorer and then select Tasks/Import Data to go to a nice little import wizard.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Thanks for your answers.

I'm going to have a look at all the options as the import wizard ans SSIS. I have tried Talend Open Studio and seems to be pretty amazing, able to transfer the delimited files, work on data,...

I will try to give feedback asap.

Yes the files I want to load in the MySQL database are all csv files.

• Thank you for the unsolicited advertisement.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• This guy is not in our side (MSSQL)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply