Transactional Pull from 2008 to 2000 using the GUI

• Hi all,

Slight issue I have with a 2000 to/from 2008 solution.

We have data on the 2000 that wants to get to 2008. That is fine as I can push it up.

We have data on the 2008 that wants to get to 2000....That is fine IF the 2008 box could see the 2000, but it cannot. The 2000 box can see the 2008 box up at our host but not vice versa. Therefore I cannot set the PULL up through the 2008 GUI.

Using the 2000 GUI you get the error about "You must use SSMS" as soon as you click on registered servers on add pull subscription.

Is there any way around this or am I going to have to do this in Query Analyser? (not a problem but gonna take me a lot longer with the amount of publications we have)

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this!

• I guess one way around it would be to install 2008 SSMS client only on the 2000 box (but they could open up a can of .net worms I'd imagine especially as its a production server)

• I'm stuffed I think (although my slight hole in network knowledge may be hindering my ideas)

I've now read that with replication to/from previous versions the rule to follow is that the distributer needs to be the same version or newer compatibility mode than the publication.

For this reason I could get away with Dist and Pub being on 2000 and pushing to 2008. I could also get away with Dist and Pub being on 2008 and pushing to 2000. I could even have the dist on 2008 pulling the data from 2000.

Where I am stuffed is that my usual option with our host site would be to Pull the data down from there as although that server can ping our server, it cannot see the SQL server as we connect via VPN. With 2008 to 2000 I cannot Pull from 2008 to 2000, so I now need to push it, but it cannot see the server in order to push to it!!!! OH MAN!

Help!

• Make sure that you have UDP port 1434 open for the SSMS or SQL 2000 tool to connect. Also when using SQL 2000 tool to connect to SQL 2008, it is going to throw some error, just ignore it and keep continuing and it should register it in the end. After that it will work.

Thats all I can advice from your scenario.

-Roy

• Yeah I can push the data from 2000 to 2008, but as I say I think my big issue is that it may be that it can't pull from 2008 to 2000. If that is the case then I think I have no answer other than to upgrade the 2000 box to 2008 (a whole can of worms there).

The connection between the 2 (had a brain freeze yesterday) is a VPN hence 2000 can see all of the 2008 box but the 2008 box can only ping the 2000 server.

• Well I have managed to get 2000 to pull from 2008 over 2 local sql servers so the documentation from MS isn't totally correct.

So now I just have to find a way of doing this without the GUI. I'm going to spend some time putting the scripts together and see if thats enough.

• Gave up on getting it to work through the GUI but glad the MS documentation wasn't quite right.

Notes for anyone else doing this...

- The 2008 server that we connect to over VPN needed to be added to the 2000 server's Client Network Utility with the REAL name of the instance in the name box (ip address and port specified).

- Register the server in 2000 as mentioned you just ignore the "use ssms" message and register anyway.

- Generate a script on the 2008 publication for publisher AND subscriber and run that script on the correct part. its the only way you can get the 2 servers talking to each other over Transactional Pull.

You might not be able to generate the subscriber script on the 2008 box, so I used 2 in house servers to replicate the issue and create the script and then adjusted the server names, databases and schedule.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply