transactional log keeps growing

• My transactional log grows up to 7Gb every week, and I'm getting tired of having to shrink it every now and then... I read that I could turn off the 'grow transactional log automatically' and turn on the 'truncate log on checkpoint'... Will this afect anything on my server ? TIA 4 tour help and sugestions (JC)

• If you don't care about point in time recovery you can turn the option "truncate log on checkpoint to true".

Please remember that if you have to restore your database you will be able to restore only your last full db backup.

HTH

Franco

Franco

Franco

• How large your transaction log is originaly set? Simply set database to single mode isn't good solution. You sould try to find out any transaction/activities/maintenance's jobs that cause the transaction log file to grow.

If you don't have spaces issue for your transaction log file, I would suggest to set the log file size to around 7GB.

• 'grow transactional log automatically' - This is okay as long as you procatively monitor your disk and transaction log space.

'truncate log on checkpoint' - If you lost your databse you can only recover to your last full backup.

What is your backup plan like? Is your transaction log growing because your backup is limited to once a week?

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply