Tracking with SQL Server

• Tracking with SQL Server

At TechEd 2005, there was an RFID pilot taking place with a tag issued to everyone along with their badge, and an application used to monitor how traffic flowed throughout the convention center. It was an interesting use of various technologies to gather data that could be analyzed and used for some practical purpose. I don't know if they really used any of the data at TechEd 2006 or other events, but it was pretty cool to see a demo showing how traffic moved around the event.

I wonder if they got the idea from the US Postal Service. Apparently they began a pilot last year that looks similar. They have small devices on all their internal equipment (forklifts, indoor trucks, etc), that require a logon by operators and then report back information to a centralized database.

A SQL Server database, so I'm sure it's a rock solid system 🙂

It tracks the use of each vehicle, providing compliance with safety rules and regulations as well as ensures vehicles are tracked and able to be maintained. While I don't know if the benefots are worth the cost of the system, but since the USPS is deploying it to many of their facilities, I'm guessing it is.

It's a good use of technology and probably has helped to make the USPS more efficient. Now if it could just get my mail delivered a little quicker ...

Steve Jones

• Perhaps this is more an effort to control terrorism than efficiency. Tracking where all there equipment is and requiring logons before using the equipment would identify equipment in suspicous activity and keep non-USPS folks from moving packages around.

Or then again, maybe they did it because it sounds cool.

It actually makes sense to put these sensors on their external equipment, something that is currently harder to monitor. Knowing where the trucks are would allow for easier recovery after theft.

• Yay, Steve's back.  Up in Canada, some food chains are implimenting such a system.  The companies feedback seemed to suggest there were little benefit from an ROI standpoint.  Will it stop theft, doubtful.  Will it give more work to the upper management, probably.  Will that bode well with them, doubtful.

But it might find a niche in the suto industry or other just in time building places where things are made from lots of other things.

I was going through a bit of withdrawl SJ.  Almost made me staple my arm.  Ok back to work ...

• <cynic alert>

I've got relatives that work for the USPS.  If past history is any indication, they're using these things to track employees and pressure them to artificial levels of "productivity".

</cynic alert>

• I donno. I live in alaska, and they still havent figured out how to deliver in the timeframe they garentee. So I'm quite sure this will not help on delivery time at all

• Please!... be careful of the adverse remarks about USPS - some of our fellow readers are Postal Service employees, and you know it's not good to get them angry

• I'm of the opinion that if you really wanted something you'd get it yourself. 

Otherwise, it'll get here when it gets here.

• Perhaps it's unwise to pick on the USPS, but until I moved to SE Denver, I've enjoyer outstanding service from them. However in SE Denver, it's been abysmal. Quite a few of my magazines have gone missing regularly, it takes 2-3 more days to get mail and I've missed some important mailings over the last 3 years. Not sure why things have fallen apart out here.

• it sounds like one of those wasteful "lets play with new technology" things to me. unless they are losing forklifts or can't determine how many trucks they have i don't see the point.

not that i blame them, i'd do some fun random things too if i had the federal government paying for me.

-- Stephen Cook

• Here's the article: http://www.gcn.com/print/25_21/41423-1.html. My apologies for not linking to it.

It's definitely an inventory tracking thing since they are not sure how many assets they have. I don't think it's a waste of money, but not sure if there is great payback.

• Where I live the term 'postal service' is a joke. It's more postal non-service Stuff takes a week or 2 weeks to get from one city to another (50km apart). Things go missing with a predictable regularity. Parcels arrive torn and opened, mangled, water-damaged, etc

One parcel from america to here took 5 months. another still hasn't arrived a year later. Guess I'll write the latter off as lost.

Many delivery companies here track their vehicles in an attempt to reduce hijacking. I don't think they track the individual parcels though

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • OT: Hey, It takes time to read your mail...

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply