Tougher Question--over my head

• Hi all, I have a question.  Hopefully someone here can help me.  Its possible i may be overthinking it, but i am rather stuck as my sql syntax is not too good yet.

As a background, this is a database migration that started in ACCESS, then moved to PHP and now has to be converted to SQL 2005.  It has been a head banging experience the whole way, but a great learning experience at the same time. 

Here is the problem.  I have an aspx page that has a hyperlink to a specific number (not the id field) called ittnumber.  What i did is built a drop down so that when you select a workcenter all the requirements that are open against that worksenter are displayed.  You can hyperlink off that ittnumber and it opens a page with the hyperlink in the URL.  All that works awesome and i am happy.

The part that is tripping me up is, i built 3 drop downs on the results page that will allow the users that control the requirements to update them in the following way:  Approved/disapproved, closed, and disapproval remarks.  All I want to accomplish is when someone changes those fields (by default there is nothing selected) do an update.  Sounds easy intil you get to figure out how to pull that ittnumber and correlate it to the id column for that particular requirement(this is where i am stuck!) 

Here is the table design:

USE [SCX_3215]

GO

/****** Object:  Table [dbo].[tbl3215]    Script Date: 09/04/2007 14:36:05 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[tbl3215](

[id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[IttNumber] [decimal](18, 0) NOT NULL,

[IttTitle] [varchar](max) NULL,

[IttDescription] [varchar](max) NULL,

[IttJustification] [varchar](max) NULL,

[TechSolution] [varchar](max) NULL,

[DateReceived] [smalldatetime] NULL,

[DateRequired] [smalldatetime] NULL,

[Customer] [varchar](max) NULL,

[OrgID] [varchar](max) NULL,

[Funded] [varchar](max) NULL,

[HBApID] [varchar](max) NULL,

[Disapproved] [varchar](max) NULL,

[DisReason] [varchar](max) NULL,

[Completed] [varchar](max) NULL,

[CompletionDate] [smalldatetime] NULL,

[Priority] [varchar](max) NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_tbl3215_1] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[id] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

If anyone has questions or needs more information, please let me know.

Thank You

Joe

• you said you were hyperlinking to the IttNumber; why can't you simply change the hyperlink to include the Id and the IttNumber? then you can obviously use it on the page, instead of trying to figure out a way to look it up correctly again.

somepage.aspx?id=12&IttNumber=3245

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• in all honesty i never knew you could do that...

i will try it tomorrow at work at let you know.

thanks for the tip

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply