To 64 bit or not to...trying to decide

• I recently brought up a SQL Server 2008 box for testing. It is currently on Win2k R2 32 bit, and running SSAS, SSIS, SSRS, and the relational engine for 32 bit. I am trying to decide whether or not I want to pursue 64 bit processing. For me, it would be our first 64 bit machine within our environment. I'm essentially waying the pros (processing power, memory support) and cons (OS software support, SSIS nuances for design, management, and provider support, etc.).

So, I'm looking for some input on people's experiences with the 64 bit product. SSIS sounds like it might be a bit of a pain - but maybe not after you get used to the changes. I read that 64 bit SSIS does not support some data providers. If I find it doesn't support ODBC access for AS400, that would be a deal breaker.

Any input would be appreciated. While this particular server has all 4 products running on it, it is only intended to be an SSIS and SSRS box. I have a monster relational server already (SQL 2005) - the IO subsystem on this new server would not be suitable for use by the relational engine.

• I'd have to go with, "try it on a dev box, see if it works the way you want it to". You can always change you mind, on a dev box.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• So, I'm looking for some input on people's experiences with the 64 bit product. SSIS sounds like it might be a bit of a pain - but maybe not after you get used to the changes. I read that 64 bit SSIS does not support some data providers. If I find it doesn't support ODBC access for AS400, that would be a deal breaker.

SQL Server SSIS supports all RDBMS Microsoft will not tell you can do it, I have existing threads with AS400 including automation, the only requirement you must be SSIS admin and AS400 admin. There is no need for x86 RDBMS in 2009 in production because most Oracle is x64. Office is still x86 so you just need to execute your code in the x86 directory. You should also know there is IBM native ADO.NET provider which you could use with SSIS 2008.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply