Timeout error on updating two fields in an SQL table

• I am using an Access 2002 program linked to a SQL 2000 database on a network environment with 15 other users. We are experiencing a timeout error when a number of users attempt to write to one table at the same time using a recordset to update two numerical fields. When I look at the activity level at the point of the timeout it has flattened out for a few seconds at 100% usage. I am at a loss to understand what is causing the peak of actitvity when writing to this table. Any thoughts?

Many Thanks

Russell Thomas

• Is that happening only when multiple users are connected?. What is happenning if only one user is connected..whether is updating only one user is connected.

suggessions:

if multiple users:

check the locks on the tables..using sp_lock make sure that there are no dead locks.

if single user also time out happens:

check the indexes on the table on which you are doing updating. If you have both clustered and non clustered indexes remove non clustered indexes. I guess you have a identity column as the primary key on that table..

hope this can solve your issue

• Wondering if the trouble might be with using Access as the interface. 

Are all users accessing the same interface?  If so, we have found it much better to provide the users with thier own local copy of the Access database.  We actually keep a 'main' copy in a network location and the user has a custom vb program on thier machine that copies the main copy to their machine and then opens it.  That way we can make changes to the networked copy and know that all the users will get the current version next time they open it.

My apologies in advance if this is not anywhere near addressing your problem.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply