Time for Your Career

• What I find really sad is the hundreds (maybe, thousands) of people I've run across on these and other forums who really need to do some studying of their own trade that simply won't. They do expect answers and they do expect jobs, though. :sick:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Training and investigation in my job is usually driven by the needs of certain projects. There is no policy on training or personal development.

I try to do some reading at home after my kids are asleep. However, this is sometimes hard. I don't know how many of you have little kids or babies but I have two 2 year old baby twins that keep me awake many nights. Unfortunately, most of the days, I am so tired that reading is so dificult that I end up giving up. That is, unless there is some deadline approaching.

• I spend around 4-5 hrs a week reading articles and other online material, as well as attending webinars, usually at work. Our management has no issues with that, as long as we are available to handle work-related issues, when we are on call rotation.

This past weekend I spent a few more hrs finishing up an article for this site. Those tend to take a huge amount of time.:-)

Many companies don't understand that reading and research are an essential component to innovation, and that it is through innovation that long-term savings and productivity gains will be made.

Or perhaps they are afraid their employees will pick up and leave once their skills become more marketable.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• My job at present is very feast-or-famine; I've worked for a month or two coding furiously, then had nothing new to do in the way of coding for a similarly long duration. This is mostly because I'm at a job where I'm the only IT person in the building, so if something needs to be implemented, I have to take it through the whole development, QA, and deployment process myself. Makes it challenging, but entertaining.

In those off-moments where there's little to do besides routine maintenance and checkup on the databases and coding, I'll peruse SSC and other coding sites to learn as much as I can. I felt a little constrained doing so at first, because I felt like I was learning a ton of stuff that I really wanted to try, but wouldn't have an opportunity to use; however, recently, I've seen how I can work that information into solutions for the business that wouldn't have been possible on our earlier non-SQL Server platform. I felt quite fulfilled when I managed to work my reading into a solution nearly instantly (at least in concept; must test everything!), and since then I've redoubled my study efforts in downtime lulls. I'm just a recent college graduate, with less than a year's experience now, but I want to focus and absorb as much knowledge as I can into useful solutions. Bit of a ramble from a regular lurker, but this thread struck my fancy :hehe:

- 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply