Thinking About Technology

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Thinking About Technology

• I saw the follow soon after it came out more than a year ago.  It's focus is on the very ramifications you speak of... in this case, something as seemingly innocent as posting a picture of your kids... or yourself.  Life and reputation has gotten a whole lot more difficult to defend.

If you don't know what "Rule 34" for the internet is, it strongly applies here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4WZ_k0vUDM

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I'm surprised that topics like: PII protection, prosecution for spyware, and regulation of cross site browser tracking are not political campaign issues. Also, there should be tougher sentencing guidelines folks convicted of identity theft, malware, or phishing that effect the lives of victims in serious ways. That's one demographic we could safely demonize without significant controversy or public protest. I mean, politicians do occasionally talk about that stuff on the House floor or with focus groups, but it's not really front and center - not a major part of their campaign platform.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Same, but I suspect most political stuff is driven by money for a few people (the top 5%, big companies, politicians of all kinds), so they don't want to press too hard on this.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Same, but I suspect most political stuff is driven by money for a few people (the top 5%, big companies, politicians of all kinds), so they don't want to press too hard on this.

It seems to me that a savvy politician can still take corporate money and (within reason) address the concerns of corporate interests while still zooming in the public's anxiety about digital privacy and cyber crime. There is nothing wrong with tailoring the message to fit the audience one happens to be meeting with on any given day - so long as the various messages don't conflict. If your opponent gets the big donations from data brokers - and you don't, then it would be a much easier decision to go all in.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply