The Problem Is You

• Feeling OK today, not last week. I think the final edit and podcast affected the writing. My apologies.

• TheSQLGuru (6/3/2009)

One exception I will take to what you said: "Someone that's worked with SQL Serve for years learned a lot about the platform, what works, what doesn't, and what tools to apply in different situations." I have done a fair bit of tech interviews for a client looking for some DBAs over the past 16 months or so and I have been stunned by the incredibly lacking knowledge and skills of supposedly "senior" DBA and SQL Dev candidates with many years of exclusive SQL Server experience.

Too true, too true. If things appear to work, many people just don't bother to learn more or make them better. You are correct that there are people with "5 years of experience" that really have 1 month of experience 60 times!

Good point and thanks for making that one.

• I am quite dismayed to find that the one of the sentences in the article implies that some people "are intimidated by Oracle and DB2 because they require the command line"?

I work for a software company that uses DB2 for Windows as it's database server backend. The installation setup program is quite easy to understand and installs great. It's not installed by the command line. But through a standard GUI setup wizard. The IBM DB2 Control Center is a GUI application much like MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager. You can navigate to your databases with a click of a button. Drop and restore databases with simple GUI wizards. Run database SQL queries, drop, create tables, etc. This can all be done through a GUI application. No need to perform simple database tasks through the command line. Although if the user is more familiar with the command line. Then that option is available as well.

I'm just saying that other database server software has come a long way. More user friendly and easier to use. Much like MS SQL Server.

• DB2 has come a long way, and in many ways Oracle has as well. However I know plenty of DB2 and Oracle installations that heavily depend on command line work, more so than SQL Server.

Not to say that they aren't good products, but they do intimidate some people.

• Steve,

The vast majority of the SSC Community truly appreciate your efforts, including any occasional errors that might be made. I would think that a "newbie" would have better things to do than criticize a salty veteran.

Thank you for all of your efforts.

• Steve,

The vast majority of the SSC Community truly appreciate your efforts, including any occasional errors that might be made. I would think that a "newbie" would have better things to do than criticize a salty veteran.

Seconded.

• Mad Hacker (6/4/2009)

Steve,

I will take it further and say that EVERYONE on this site should have better things to do than to criticize someone's grammar or english language usage!! Even if you disregard the fact that there are many, many posters here for whom english is a second (or third) language we should all focus on content, not verbiage!

Rock on Steve!!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Agree!

All that contribute should be treated with respect. And those that write articles should be thanked for taking the time to contribute. Unprofessional comments are a waste of time for everyone.

And if you have such a strong feeling about an issue, write an article about it. Don't unprofessionally criticize someone who has taken the time.

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.

• Thanks and I appreciate the support.

I do appreciate the criticism as well. It helps me learn, but public degradation isn't a great way to do it. A private message or email gets the point across just as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply