The Oscars

• I can recommend Iron Man, The Hulk and Dark Knight, for just plain special-effects, comic-book fun. Hancock is quite good. Gran Torino is in theatres, but when you get a chance, I highly recommend it, and it doesn't require a big screen for maximum effect (like the comic book ones do). WALL-E is definitely entertaining, but pushes towards diabetes territory pretty heavily. Definitely recommend avoiding the remake on The Day the Earth Stood Still.

For some older movies I can recommend, Big Trouble in Little China has been brought up, and I can definitely second the motion on that one. Same for any number of classics. Hard to go wrong with Singing in the Rain, Wizard of Oz, and so on. Don't watch Heavy Metal with the kids, but it's a good one that I recently watched the DVD of.

If you want a good "twist ending", The Usual Suspects, Lucky Number Sleven, or Basic (John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson). Those aren't going to be good for young children, but are very good movies and not too violent/sexy.

One of my favorite sci-fi movies that got horrible reviews is Soldier (Kurt Russel). With good reviews, Firefly (actually, I think the movie is Serenity and the TV show was Firefly, but I do get those backwards from time to time).

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• The ones I really enjoyed:

Juno

Fireproof

Boy in the stripped pajamas -very gut wrenching film with a hard ending but very good over all

• A good family pick is "Marley and Me". Great story, funny & sad and my daughter, who is 11, loved it.

• From this past, easily hands-down, the best film was 'The Dark Knight'. Being the sequel to 'Batman Begins', this film does a great job at bringing the spectacle of the superhero genre yet at the same time being practical and believable.

• If you're trying to figure out what to watch on a given weekend, visit:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

It's an excellent site that pools big name reviewers with smaller wannabees. Reviews are nicely summarized. It counts the reviews and assigns "fresh" to anything getting 60% approval or above and "rotten" to those with less. For example, Slum Dog Millionaire shows this week with 94% fresh. That's high for this site which makes Slumdog something I'll try to see.

For me:

Benjamin Button gets the prize for thought-provoking film with ingenious special effects.

The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian gets it for family film

I'm torn about Wall-E - It's definitely a brilliant piece with wonderful writing. On the other hand, I'm not so sure I buy into the notion that we're doomed to trash the planet and only a couple of robots can save us. I probably think too much for films like this. Otherwise it would be thoroughly enjoyable. Though not as well written, Horton Hears a Who is enjoyable and worth watching.

Fireproof is unique - It's a surprisingly good film considering what must have been their budget. The first 10 minutes make you think you're wasting your time, but the rest of the film is believable religious drama that's worth watching. It might revolutionize your marriage.

Iron Man gets the nod for summer blockbuster over Dark Knight, but the second is well worth watching, of course.

• For pure I'm-still-aged-8 honest fun, how about the original Star Wars?

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
  • For pure good fun, Mama Mia (you do need to like Abba, though) - it's a film the whole family can watch, and a pretty decent musical (I MISS the old musicals...) Also Kung Fu Panda and Walle.

Definitely Quantum of Solace - it was so good, I got a shock when it ended! Wanted it to keep going on.

On the short list is Mall Cop, but it's just in theatres right now.

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• Sarah Wagner (1/30/2009)

Recommended:

You Don't Mess with the Zohan

Indian Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Get Smart (Surprisingly funny)

Skip:

Burn after Reading

Ghost Town

Nights in Rodanthe

I have to disagree with with "You Don't Mess with the Zohan". There may have been some funny parts in it, but overall I can't believe that I actually watched to whole movie.

Now, the movies I did like:

Wall-E

Hancock

I Am Ledgend

Ironman

I'm sure there are others, but I just don't remember the titles at the moment.

• G Bryant McClellan (1/30/2009)

The Usual Suspects. I kicked myself for hours for not figuring out what happened before the I saw the end. The twist was incredible and well done.

My brother was watching that with his girlfriend, and she fell asleep halfway through. He woke her up for the ending.

Did I mention they broke up?

😛

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Paul (1/30/2009)

Children films, however, you can't go wrong with any of Pixar's outputs, (only Ratatouille disappointed me slightly - though compared to their other ones, this is hardly heavy criticism).

Paul, you're killing me! Ratatouille makes me laugh like there's no tomorrow. Although that could just be the rat on my head making me do that.

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Don't Mess with the Zohan is wretched.

I just watched the Star Wars prequels again over the last three nights. Strange to realize while watching Clones that Jar Jar is actually a necessary part of the downfall of the Republic and the rise of the Empire. Much as I dislike the character and wish he'd been left out of Phantom Menace, he does fit Twain's rules for storytelling, so he should stay in. Basically, any of the six SW movies are worth it, but I didn't think that needed mentioning.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Eagle Eye is really good, enjoyed that one.

Not from this year, but in line with the kung fu recommendations, Forbidden Kingdom (Jackie Chan/Jet Li have to teach a kid from Brooklyn how to save the day)

• kwitzell (1/30/2009)

The ones I really enjoyed:

Juno

Fireproof

Boy in the stripped pajamas -very gut wrenching film with a hard ending but very good over all

I have to second the FireProof! That movie was amazing, I have been recommending it to everyone I know who is married and even to those who are considering marriage.

Bring your wife - you won't regret it!

• Slumdog Millionaire or Gran Torino - for adults only

Ratatouille or Wall-E - for kids

• Mine was definitely KUNG FU PANDA 🙂

Best Regards

Anil Mahadev

Senior SQL Server DBA

MISPL

Bangalore

INDIA

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply