The March 2009 Car Update

• Being just about 5ft tall, most driving seats do not move far enough forward to touch the pedals. It seems that most American cars are automatics and do not have a gear change so I presume I could drive one but I never have. I just wondered if I would be rattling around like a pea in a tin.

My mom is 4'9" and the answer is, it depends. Most midsize cars or minivans are ok for her as long as they have six way seats. Smaller is usually ok, except sports cars as the seat is just too low. Larger vehicles are drivable for her only if the seat can be adjusted properly. I don't think she's ever tried to drive a Hummer.

--

JimFive

• James Goodwin (4/3/2009)

Being just about 5ft tall, most driving seats do not move far enough forward to touch the pedals. It seems that most American cars are automatics and do not have a gear change so I presume I could drive one but I never have. I just wondered if I would be rattling around like a pea in a tin.

My mom is 4'9" and the answer is, it depends. Most midsize cars or minivans are ok for her as long as they have six way seats. Smaller is usually ok, except sports cars as the seat is just too low. Larger vehicles are drivable for her only if the seat can be adjusted properly. I don't think she's ever tried to drive a Hummer.

--

JimFive

Surprisingly, the new Hummers are not that roomy at all. At 6.5 ft and over 300, my knees were on the dashboard. It definitely ruled it out for me. These little gas sippers just don't fit, nor do the seats nor seat belts adjust enough. My father, and his father have identical hieght, and all have the same issue. So will my little girl... she was 2 in. short of 4 ft. back when she was 4 years old.

Full-sizeTrucks and minivans are all I will ever likely drive. I don't much care for full-size vans, but may end up going that route. There are a few small SUVs that surprised me though. Chevy also came out last year with another small car that actually has enough room inside.

I have been car shopping for a while now... and nothing sings to me yet. So I keep fixing the minivan. Cheaper than buying new anyway. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up on a Hog. Or better yet, a Deisel tractor... you know... to pull the data center pod around with. 😀

Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 76 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply