• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The IT Jobs AI Can't Do

• 6 Jobs AI will never do

1. CEO
    2. CFO
    3. CTO
    4. CIO
    5. Senator
    6. Public Representative

Those who make decisions about the implementation of AI don't have to worry about losing their jobs to AI.

• The topic of how work may change in the future has interested me recently. I work in state government. Your admonition to work on our technical and soft skills is excellent. And yet I've seen how it is possible to not be a 10x engineer doesn't hurt anyone in IT, in state government. There is little to no acceptance of newer technologies or methodologies. And since government has no competition, we cannot lose to anyone. At least where I work all AI related technologies are blocked from use, so no one can gain prompt engineering skills. Well, at least not on the job.

I've thought that perhaps one unspoken reason this situation might exist is because we require a certain number of state employees working to help pay the pensions of retired state employees. If AI could eliminate half of all state employees, then that will have a serious impact upon paying those retired pensioners. (I could be very wrong about this, because I don't know all that goes into paying our pensions.)

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I'm not sure I agree with the list in the article.  Having seen ChatGPT responses to questions I can see a place for an eternally patient incident management AI trained on carefully curated information.

My experience over the years has been that many of ITs woes are self inflicted over-complications.  A methodical intelligent decision tree approach helps.  I came across the term "rubber ducking".  As a principal data engineer I find that  my staff come to me just to bounce ideas off me.  I probably don't have the depth of knowledge in their particular area but I can ask intelligent questions that steers their thoughts in a way that solves the problem they have.  I suspect a decent AI could make me obsolete.

I suspect that many management interactions could be adequately filled by AI.  Its when things go seriously wrong that human flexibility becomes important.  Disciplinary procedures are another area where I don't see AI being useful.

There are two things I would love AI to do for me.

1. Answer the cookie question and similar app embuggerances
    2. Fill in creditable values into my timesheet.
  • Similar to the history of how organizations have leveraged offshore IT talent, I'm sure that the pendulum will swing back and forth over time when it comes to leveraging AI automation, and some organizations will embrace it more than others.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• sean redmond wrote:

6 Jobs AI will never do

CEO

CFO

CTO

CIO

Senator

Public Representative

Those who make decisions about the implementation of AI don't have to worry about losing their jobs to AI.

China-based NetDragon Websoft uses an AI as its CEO so that job is not safe either...

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Audionova.
  • That is amazing, @audionova!

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• sean redmond wrote:

6 Jobs AI will never do

1. CEO
    2. CFO
    3. CTO
    4. CIO
    5. Senator
    6. Public Representative

I actually think much of our executive decision making at the corporate and governmental level could be performed more efficiently by AI. I'm talking about things like: setting interest rates, approving loans, budget allocation, criminal sentencing, etc.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply