The Great Uproar

• I'm not a sign waving MS evengelist by any means... and i find sharepoint a resourece hog... but putting out some asp as a front end on one of these below might be a better long term solution... msg me if you want some help setting it up.

But as per MS:

Microsoft Host Integration Server 2004

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/host/evaluate/techfaq.mspx

AS/400 data queues. A data queue is an AS/400 system object that is used for interprocess communications between multiple programs or jobs. Data queues allow multiple programs to send and receive shared messages using a central repository without first writing the message data to a physical database file. Typically, when a data record is read from the queue, the record is then erased from the queue. The advantage of using data queues to share data as opposed to using database files is that data queues require much less file input/output (I/O) and therefore improve overall system performance. Host Integration Server 2000 enables 32-bit Windows-based applications to access data queues using a COM automation control. The control is modeled after the AS/400 code points, exposing the greatest number of options practically possible.

File transfer for AS/400, AS/36, and VSAM. The file transfer utility provides a user with the ability to move a file between the local computer and a host system. Host Integration Server 2000 provides this service using a single ActiveX® control. This extends the ability for the client application to perform file transfer operations from a large number of client development environments.

Connection pooling for OLE DB Provider and ODBC Driver for DB2. When enabled, connection pooling sets up a pool of connections to service database connection requests. Connection pooling allows a middle tier, like Internet Information Service (IIS), to hold onto the open connections and hand them out to the Web clients making requests from the database. Not closing a connection to the database and holding it for future use reduces the time required to validate and provide the next connection to the back-end server.

Further reading:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/his_2004main/htm/_sna_using_the_ole_db_provider_for_as_400_and_vsam_oledb.asp

The Microsoft® OLE DB Provider for AS/400 and VSAM enables you to directly access record-level data in mainframe VSAM, partitioned data sets (PDSs), and midrange OS/400 files from within an OLE-aware application. The object linking and embedding database (OLE DB) is a standard set of interfaces that provide heterogeneous access to disparate sources of information located anywhere—file systems, e-mail folders, and databases. The OLE DB Provider for AS/400 and VSAM combines the universal data access of OLE DB with the Record-Level Input/Output (RLIO) protocol of the IBM distributed data management (DDM) architecture.

• Sushila,

T'anks, but I already caught and corrected that typo.

Chuck

• I think I've still missed the point of that post... Chuck: I don't disagree with you.

• Isn't this the funniest site ever...yes - Chuck was agreeing with you too - however, he's still seething from the "effects" of Sean's article and continues to be "affected" by it -

Hope you have some of that famous Irish humour Chuck... you and I will always remain on opposite sides of the fence re. the article but don't want to be torched for it!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Sushila,

I think you got to the pub a few hours before me???  I have no idea what you are talking about?

I'm not "seething"?

I wish you a nice day!

Cheers,

Chuck

• Hey - sushila - I'm posting on another (UK, completely unrelated) forum at the moment and the same thing goes on there.  It's human nature!

One of the people on that forum has often said that it is difficult to show the true meaning of words on a forum, with only text and limited emoticons to express how you really meant what you said.  We rely on conversation with the non-verbal aspect removed.  I've often watched people argue for pages on a thread, whilst finally realising they agree!

• I never got out of the pub Chuck...

alright - I take back "seething" - but not "affected"...needed to demo the effect of using these 2 words so it's a critical component...

• GPF2^192

I'm not even going to waste my time explaining this solution for you.  Access is the best choice in this case for their front end.  Bye!  Bye!

• Sushila,

What do you say we go to the pub, grab a pint, and talk about sports?

Paul, you come with us, too.

Slainte!

Chuck

• Rats - the one thing I can't talk about!!! (oh wait - can it be cricket ?!)

How about y'all talk about sports and I'll grab the pints...

• Sounds good.

• I'm off to the pub shortly.  I'll buy you both a virtual pint.

Best we don't talk about sports though - we'd probably never agree on what "football" is...

• Can I join?  I need a good stiff drink right now myself. 

• Dale - wanted to say hi before you go away!

My lunacy has always been linked more to Fridays than the waxing and waning of the moon so there'll be no making any sense out of me today - but did want to ask you if there's any sampling of products involved in that "beer and wine" project of yours ?!?! Also - do you need a helping hand..?!

ps: Hope PASS gave you the r&r you were looking for...

• ah - looks like we cross-posted...guess it'll have to virtual pints all the way round then..

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply