The Express Choice

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/27/2015)

Gary Varga (2/27/2015)

thottle (2/27/2015)

...One of the restrictions Steve did not mention is that Express, under license, cannot be used for an outward facing web site...

I believe that this was the case but I cannot find evidence that it still is. Does anyone?

Microsoft say:

Build web and mobile applications for multiple data types

Support structured and unstructured data while storing business data with native support for relational data, XML, and spatial data. Add geographical information to business applications and build location-aware applications. Increase granularity of temporal data with date and time data types.

My reading of the 2014/2012/2008 licenses from here doesn't see a restriction: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=29693&useDLM=true

I see this:

Right to Use and Distribute. If you comply with the terms below:

•You may copy and distribute the object code form of the software (“Distributable Code”) in programs you develop;

•You may combine the object code form of the Distributable Code with your programs to develop a unified web solution and permit others via online methods to access and use that unified web solution, provided that the Distributable Code is only used as part of and in conjunction with your programs; and

•You may permit distributors of your programs to copy and distribute the Distributable Code as part of those programs.

Mind you, my take on licensing came from my manager at my previous job. His information came from the sales rep. I suppose I should factor in that the sales rep is quite often about as knowledgeable as the techs at the Microsoft Store and the Genius Bar, which is why I fix my own Windows boxes and take my Mac elsewhere for repair. 😉

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

--- Remember, if you don't document your work, Apollo 13 doesn't come home.

• We have thousands of installed express editions on customer sites. I think it's great for that as long as you can live without HA (beyond backups). Obviously you need to work around some of the missing bits with custom scripts, but within it's limitations it's relatively painless. Not something I would have said about some of the access apps I've worked with in the past.

• Hi Steve,

We currenlty use Express Edition for some very lightweight production applications for the specific purpose of saving on the cost.

Given that we have several other environments using Standard and Enterprise, we use their Agents to run maintenance procedures on those instances (stored procedures on the Express instance, called by a job on the Standard / Enterprise instance).

• We totally use SQL Express for production. We sell an application that needs a database and use SQL Express and Reporting Services. If the client ever needs to store more data than SQL Express allows, it's really simple to move the database over to a full version.

• We sell an application that needs a database and use SQL Express

What do you use for a front-end?

• I have a friend who is planning to implement on MS Access. I tried to convince him to use SQL Express instead, front-ending it with Access if he desired.

He was afraid of the learning curve. I'm afraid of the problems they are going to have down the road as soon as more than 1 person wants to use that DB at a time.

• He was afraid of the learning curve. I'm afraid of the problems they are going to have down the road as soon as more than 1 person wants to use that DB at a time

Properly configured, Access can handle many more than one person. How steep in your opinion is the learning curve, and where would you recommend we start?

• RonKyle (2/27/2015)

He was afraid of the learning curve. I'm afraid of the problems they are going to have down the road as soon as more than 1 person wants to use that DB at a time

Properly configured, Access can handle many more than one person. How steep in your opinion is the learning curve, and where would you recommend we start?

The learning curve for MS Access the application suite (form builder, reporting tool, etc.) and the learning curve for the MS Access vs. SQL Server database platform are two different things. From the end user and application developer's perspective, keeping the existing applications and reports but switching out MS Access database connectivity for SQL Server is not that big of a learning curve. You really only need one person, the DBA, who has working knowledge of SQL Server.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I'm am like Wane in this. Express as the back end for database. Wrote lots of support scripts that run through SQLCMD and the task scheduler.

As far as multiple users try this: Five persons in the office accessing data through a .Net front end, out in the filed 20 users with handheld devices. Each device has it own SQL Server CE (may it rest in piece) database and did data syncs back to the server. The server is running Express. Since the field users connect one at a time there is almost no chance that more than 5 would be connected at any one time. Legal.

"Now, company IT director, click that link to download this free product from Microsoft. Each time it asks you a question we will guide you as to making the right choice." Several minutes later, "Congratulations. You have just installed and configured Microsoft SQL Server Express." Now that the customer has a running SQL Server instance I can take over and install applications (including data structures) thereon. How to stay legal cheap? Easy. 😎

One critical thing to get in place early with Express is your data retention policy. You can't do data hording. Just like old magazines you have to purge stuff on a regular basis. The Express data limits are like gravity. It's not the falling that kills you. It's the sudden stop.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Gary Varga (2/27/2015)

thottle (2/27/2015)

...One of the restrictions Steve did not mention is that Express, under license, cannot be used for an outward facing web site...

I believe that this was the case but I cannot find evidence that it still is. Does anyone?

Microsoft say:

Build web and mobile applications for multiple data types

Support structured and unstructured data while storing business data with native support for relational data, XML, and spatial data. Add geographical information to business applications and build location-aware applications. Increase granularity of temporal data with date and time data types.

Thank you. I have at least one client using Express for an outward facing web site, and went looking when I saw Gary's comment. I couldn't find anything to for or against Gary's comment so nice to see yours.

Obviously mine is a bit of a me too comment. Have Express in a number of production databases for a number of clients. In some cases it is just deferring the cost, often by a few years , and that is fine in all cases so far. The gotcha is always the 1GB limit, I'm yet to hit the 10Gb limit with an express database. Although have a 7Gb at a location that is still on express, but in the next 6 months will need to go up.

Backup and any scheduled jobs I simply handle via windows Task scheduler

• I have multiple clients using express editions in production environments.

Despite the restrictions there don't appear to be any issues as long as they stay below the 4-10gb database size limit.

My lazyness causes me to try to talk them into using at least a standard edition so I can utilize the tools as needed but, as I said, that is lazyness rather than anything else.

“Program (pro’ gram) n. a logical sequence of operations to be performed by a computer that usually results in error messages, v.t. to engage in an activity similar to banging one’s head against a wall.”

• Would you use Express Edition for a production database?

Why, when one may obtain a fully-functional, free open source RDBMS, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL?

A few years ago, we began requiring our software vendors to support these databases, and our internal development as well. So far, so good.

• I've never used it, never worked for a company whose DB wasn't already larger than the limit.

• Would you use Express Edition for a production database?

Only in specific use cases. It's currently a possible option for a small mostly static database for a particular project that's on the drawing board. SQL Server is due to client requirements.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, I'm not locked into SQL Server on other similar projects, I have other RDMS choices that will scale without additional license costs.

• There are some 3rd part applications, for example employee project / time reporting or asset management, that require SQL Server as database but are relatively small scale and don't require Enterprise or Standard editions. I could also see Express edition used for small departmental data marts that aggregate summary data for reporting, something that can be shared between a handful of users.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply