The Danger of Safety Assistance Tools

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Danger of Safety Assistance Tools

• I have worked in computer security in the past, done some computer forensics, and all employers from about year 2000 required me and all other staff to do regular security training. Yet I almost fell for a scam.

In UK we have to pay a license each year to watch TV, and I had an email saying my payment could not be taken. It all seemed OK to me, and I knew the bank account I normally use for utility payments had recently changed.

So I went through the process of renewing my TV license. Typed in my card details and almost ready to hit enter when a question suddenly seemed wrong, it asked for something not needed for the license.

I called my wife and said I was worried about that question. She replied 'You do not pay the TV license, I do'. Oops. I had not hit enter but just about everything needed by the scammers was typed in. Even though I closed the window I contacted my bank and requested a new card. Fortunately no money went missing.

The moral is: even when you know what a scam looks like and warn others against them, if the right message comes in you still may  get caught.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• It can also work the other way round. I am currently helping a vulnerable adult with a financial issue. A few days ago I was copied in an email saying the local authority had realised they had taken too much money for a service the vulnerable adult uses. It said they could refund it but wanted name, address, and account details in order to do this.

The money was taken by a process called Direct Debit, and none of the information requested is needed to make a DD refund.  I thought immediately the email was a scam that had got through my safety software, but when I checked it, it was genuine! The local authority simply should not be asking for the details requested to do the refund.

I have tried repeatedly to contact the local authority to request the refund and give my view their email looked very much like a scam. So far automated answering system 3, customer success 0. I will keep trying, the vulnerable adult needs the £720 in their account more than the local authority.

The moral here is: if you are sending a valid email, please don't make it look like a scam. It just makes the real scammers job easier.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  EdVassie.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I appreciate people posting their close calls.  Understanding that even the most trained and vigilant of us can get caught would hopefully lead us to being compassionate when our users get caught...

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply