The Coffee Routine

• At the observatory that my wife is at, one of her co-workers bought a beans-to-cup espresso machine. The astronomers love it. But the day staff? Give 'em a Mr. Coffee and Folgers and that's all they want and they live off it all day. They don't touch the good stuff. One guy can't sleep unless he has a cup just before he goes to bed.

Me, I've been doing database work for 30 years and never developed a taste for the stuff. I like an occasional mocha, but usually I won't go out of my way for one.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Mmmm ... coffee... the nectar of invention ... what do you think fueled the European Enlightenment or the Web? 😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Room_coffee_pot

Seriously though, free coffee (and tea) and a casual dress code should be the norm by now in just about any IT shop. Cheap perk with a big morale impact given it's popularity I think.

• I love my coffee in the morning. My wife calls me an addict and my co-workers know to not ask me any technical questions before my second cup. I do hate most office coffee because it can sit on the burners and cook for hours. For a while I had my baby Keruig in my cubicle but the K-cups got too expensive and I was too lazy to keep filling up the cups myself.

I have yet to try the aeropress. I heard good things about it.

• My wife has been using a one-cup coffee maker for years; she's on her third one and its been the best one so far. She also uses a Ninja Bullet for juices, that thing is awesome, we juice everything now. Assuming you like pulp its way better and faster than a juicer, which now never gets used because its so much harder to clean up afterwards.

I take the bus so I don't bring coffee with me, and have always worked for companies that provided it. Some of its better than others but I only have one cup a day so its good enough.

• tindog (6/1/2016)

cad.delworth (6/1/2016)

Just the smell of coffee makes me want to vomit (literally).

Any workplace that has a coffee machine dominating it, is somewhere I will definitely NEVER take up a job, regardless. If the machine is hidden away somewhere well-ventilated, then it becomes a 'maybe' rather than a 'no thanks;' but I'll always prefer to work where there is no coffee making facility around, and where anyone drinking coffee is sent outside to do so (well … I can dream, can't I?).

Anyway, this is making me thirsty — I'm off to make a nice ultra-strong cup of tea. 😀

I feel the same way about tea - the smell makes me gag!! :hehe:

Makes it difficult when this countrys culture seems to be pretty much based around tea...

Same for me with Coffee.

Many years ago, when I was doing phone support my cubicle was 3 down from the cheap coffee machine and I had to smell it every time someone got a cup.

The only saving grace was I did the graveyard shift so there were only a few people in the office. If I was on the day shift it would have just about killed me. :sick::-)

• At my old job, I would keep a can of expresso ground Cafe Bustello in my desk, and I would sometimes reload the coffee maker using a double or tripple scoop.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• J DBA (6/1/2016)

tindog (6/1/2016)

cad.delworth (6/1/2016)

Just the smell of coffee makes me want to vomit (literally).

Any workplace that has a coffee machine dominating it, is somewhere I will definitely NEVER take up a job, regardless. If the machine is hidden away somewhere well-ventilated, then it becomes a 'maybe' rather than a 'no thanks;' but I'll always prefer to work where there is no coffee making facility around, and where anyone drinking coffee is sent outside to do so (well … I can dream, can't I?).

Anyway, this is making me thirsty — I'm off to make a nice ultra-strong cup of tea. 😀

I feel the same way about tea - the smell makes me gag!! :hehe:

Makes it difficult when this countrys culture seems to be pretty much based around tea...

Same for me with Coffee.

Many years ago, when I was doing phone support my cubicle was 3 down from the cheap coffee machine and I had to smell it every time someone got a cup.

The only saving grace was I did the graveyard shift so there were only a few people in the office. If I was on the day shift it would have just about killed me. :sick::-)

Blasphemer! Blasphemers All! (I'm internally channeling a Monty Python movie). 😛

• Back in 1993 a Guy wanted me to come work for his company, a startup if you will with a big DOD contract. I stipulated in my contract he had to get a water cooler for making the Coffee.

• I have the pleasure of working for a company which takes its coffee very seriously. There's a professional espresso machine in each of the offices and the company employs a barista. Once trained by the barista, any member of staff is free to use the machine to make as much or as little coffee as they choose. This is far and away the best place I have ever worked in terms not just of its coffee fixation, but its desire to help staff enjoy being at work.

As a result, I now have a (much smaller scale) espresso machine at home (not a Nespresso), and my husband also benefits indirectly from my employer's attitude towards good coffee. I do find myself a lot more critical of coffee as served in cafés though 😛

• jarick 15608 (6/1/2016)

I love my coffee in the morning. My wife calls me an addict and my co-workers know to not ask me any technical questions before my second cup. I do hate most office coffee because it can sit on the burners and cook for hours. For a while I had my baby Keruig in my cubicle but the K-cups got too expensive and I was too lazy to keep filling up the cups myself.

I have yet to try the aeropress. I heard good things about it.

Try one, they are inexpensive, easy to use clean and make the best coffee. One thing you don't get - a crema. Doesn't bother me, I tend to drink strong Americanos.

If anyone is in the UK, Pact offer a great service and the best coffee I have ever tasted, direct trade, my affiliate link below will get you a bag for £1.

Pact Coffee

• cad.delworth (6/1/2016)

Tindog, you have my sympathies (hopefully that's mutual?!).

I used to have one flatmate (US: a person I shared a condo with) who was so allergic to tea that even stirring his coffee with a spoon which had just stirred a cup of tea would (he told us) put him into anaphylactic shock and hospitalise him; or worse.

Based on how nut allergy sufferers are affected, I had imagined he'd need to autoclave all cutlery in the flat for 30 mins. prior to using any of it in his beverage. Until I saw him rinsing a spoon-previously-used-for-tea under the tap and then plunging it into his coffee. He never managed to explain to us quite how that very quick rinse of a 'tea' spoon under a running tap prevented the problem completely.

Personally it means that Italian restaurants (and of course coffee vendors like $tarbuck$) are totally off limits for me: and emptying my stomach on to their floor does tend to earn me a life ban from the shop in any case!

It has made it awkward in the past to view properties when moving home, since so many people have coffee bubbling away somewhere on the premises because their estate agent (US: realtor) has told them that that smell makes folks want to buy the place. So, after they open the door and invite me in with their best welcoming smile, I involuntarily pull a face and have to make my excuses and leave without even looking around. Now though, I do usually warn/ask the vendor beforehand!

Definitely mutual, although that sounds a lot more intense than my tea aversion! (Usually that's just a look of disgust at the multiple cups of PG tips that I'm handed)

I wonder why it makes you feel that ill? Do you find that you're sensitive to any other smells?

• tindog (6/2/2016)

cad.delworth (6/1/2016)

Personally it means that Italian restaurants (and of course coffee vendors like $tarbuck$) are totally off limits for me: and emptying my stomach on to their floor does tend to earn me a life ban from the shop in any case!

It has made it awkward in the past to view properties when moving home, since so many people have coffee bubbling away somewhere on the premises because their estate agent (US: realtor) has told them that that smell makes folks want to buy the place. So, after they open the door and invite me in with their best welcoming smile, I involuntarily pull a face and have to make my excuses and leave without even looking around. Now though, I do usually warn/ask the vendor beforehand!

Definitely mutual, although that sounds a lot more intense than my tea aversion! (Usually that's just a look of disgust at the multiple cups of PG tips that I'm handed)

I wonder why it makes you feel that ill? Do you find that you're sensitive to any other smells?

The other smell that makes me boak (as we say in my country) is Parmesan or any similar 'smelly cheese' like a ripe Gorgonzola. And no, I have no idea why the smell of coffee makes me nauseous: I just completely avoid the stuff as much as possible.

I should perhaps add that anything flavoured with coffee — like mocha or coffee centres in a box of chocolates, or coffee-flavoured buttercream or icing in/on a cake — will also have me heaving. Even if I can't smell any coffee before consumption, when the taste hits me it's utterly disgusting.

• cad.delworth (6/1/2016)

Just the smell of coffee makes me want to vomit (literally)

That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone that gets sick from the smell of coffee :w00t:

Good thing you're not a colleague of mine, you'd had a huuuuuge problem then 😛

• Terje Hermanseter (6/2/2016)

cad.delworth (6/1/2016)

Just the smell of coffee makes me want to vomit (literally)

That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone that gets sick from the smell of coffee :w00t:

Good thing you're not a colleague of mine, you'd had a huuuuuge problem then 😛

Or mine

• For me the coffee needs to be black and the tea a mahogany colour (just show it the milk - don't pour!!!)

I worked somewhere where someone would stir the teas with a coffee spoon to try and disuade anyone from asking them to make drinks again. When they were forced to take their turn I changed to either asking for a black coffee or accepting that I would not drink what they made. Whatever I wanted I certainly wasn't going to allow them to not make me a drink. I was not prepared to retaliate either. Sometimes, if not always, it is better to stay on the higher ground. (No coffee pun intended.)

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply