The Bowling Challenge

• So will the answers be scored on? simplicity, sneakieness, set solution, lines of code, or all of the above.

• I'd prefer a set based solution, but simplicity ranks high. Performance, sneakiness, lines of code, non rank too high, but might be used for tie breakers.

• Today's newsletter says that the deadline is Aug. 6; the article says 30 days from "the date it was published," whic appears to be 7/22... So shouldn't the deadline be something like 8/21?

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• Well I have a good chance based on simplicity then.

• Any updates on the outcome?  I'm really interested in seeing all of the different methods people devised for accomplishing this.

Chris Cubley
    www.queryplan.com

• I guess Andy has been busy with the hurricane !

/rockmoose

You must unlearn what You have learnt

• Or he could be attending the GOP convention in New York...

or could be one of the protesters... give him some time.

/melvyn

• Im working on them this weekend, slow going. Giving everyone the option to change things not such a good idea from the testing standpoint! Anyone interested in volunteering to help me test, perhaps in exchange for a very nice shirt or SSC gumball machine?

• "Giving everyone the option to change things not such a good idea from the testing standpoint!"

I can imagine 😉

Well I volunteer in any case.

Sending contact info by normal mail.

/rockmoose

• I'll help if you need more... Since I never bothered to submit my entry I will be a very neutral judge... Drop me a PM or e-mail.

Oh, and by the way: I told you so! (see my posts earlier in the thread where I recommended you make standard inputs and outputs for easy judging hehe)

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• I will also help if you need it.

For your testing set, i believe there are really only 8? tests necessary.

1. no strikes or spares

2. 1 spare

3. 2 spares in a row

4. 1 spare & 1 strike

4. 1 strike

5. 2 strikes

6. 2 strikes and 1 spare

7. 3 strikes

8. perfect game

since you can combine some of these into the same game with some

sub-10 frames in-between, probably only need 2-3 games to prove the scoring works.

• Hi Andy,

What's the latest on this contest?  Are we any nearer to finding a winner?

I am very interested to see some of the other solutions to this problem.

James

-----
    JL

• Yes, very quiet on this topic for a while...

/rockmoose

• I've made a little progress, but not there yet. Im really sorry about this - I'll think twice before running a contest that is so hands on next time!

• Andy,

Ground to a halt? Perhaps the source could be published somewhere for comments... I'm sure it's not a major factor - but at least the one's which simply don't work would be identified fairly quickly.

Can you say how many entries / lines of code are invloved?

R

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply