The Best Thing?

• So we're wrapping up the first XML week here and I thought I'd come up with a poll that was related in some way. You know, your favorite XML document, the coolest element, something not like that at all.

Recently I was wandering around the web and stumbled on Yahoo Pipes. Not being a big fan of many apps on the web, including many of the Google ones, I wasn't sure what to make of this, but decided that it is pretty cool. It basically allows you to program a workflow, slightly similar to SSIS, and move data around on the web.

So in looking for a nice technical Friday poll (after the last couple fun ones), here it is:

What's the best use of XML today?

By that I mean in what application or situation do you think XML is a perfect fit or is a great solution. It's used in everything from data transfer, config files, and all sorts of other ways in various applications.

Since I'm in this business, I'm going to say that I think RSS feeds offer the best use of XML right now. With a simple file, they allow the subscription and publication of tremendous amounts of information. I'm not sold the model of readers checking over and over is a good one architecturally, but I know that I do like the Google Reader application since it only messes with bandwidth when I check it, not all the time.

• If your company has to send data to multiple clients, then I would use XML, so it becomes the standard and easy to change.

Our company gets data from other sources, some source will send us XML, we will get the data and put them in a relational table rather than stored the XML files.

• RSS is a great implementation of data exchange utilizing an XML Schema. That said, I think that external data exchange is the best use of XML with Configuration a close second. I haven't really seen any other use that would make me want to use XML in an application. XMLA is an interesting imlementation as well, but it also boils down to Data Exchange. You send a well formatted XML message to a server that may or may not be internal and you get a response or behavior in return.

Cliff

• Yahoo Pipes I think is the best use of XML formated data. It may look more like a proof of concept, but I think it's a brilliant idea.

• This is a hard one because I believe that many of the areas people are using XML in are actually made the worse for it.

The one area I have found XML to be very useful in is AJAX.  The main reason it works so well is the ease with which the structure is parsed and traversed using tools built in to javascript.

• The best use I've run across (related to SQL Server) is to pass a complex data structure as a procedure argument. 

• Howdy..

I would agree with Scott. We have an application to capture client details and with that goes a number of addresses and telephone numbers (Home, Work Postal, next of kin, personal reference, trade references, etc ). With SQL servers XML capability and XQuery, we now update this data as one simples SP call.

This makes life alot easier.

Ciao

• I just love the fact that there's an average of more than 16 bytes of structure for every byte of actual data   It's my favorite form of bloat-ware

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I have been struggling to see why we need XML, but recently i was tasked with generating an RSS feed from a SQL table to run our companies news ticker on a digital signage system. This worked fantastically using SSIS so i guess RSS is the best use that i can see also.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply