The Agent XPs Option in SQL 2005 is disabled when i attempt to start SQL Server Agent

• At first when i attempted to create a Maintenanceplan i received the error message wich stated that it could not be done because the 'Agent XPs' component was turned off

I have enabled this option with the following Query:

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1

reconfigure

sp_configure 'Agent XPs', 1

reconfigure

to be sure i ran an sp_configyre to see if the option was enabled , this is the result

Name Minimum Maximum Config_value Running Value

Agent XPs 0 1 1 1

This indeed enables the Axent XPs option and lets me create a Maintenance plan but after i finished the maintenance plan, however when i start the SQL Server Agent it starts en directly stops with the following message:

The SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service on local computer started and stopped . some services stop automatically if they have ni work to do , for example the Performance Logs and Alerts service.

When i go back to the SQL management studio and run a sp_configure i get the following result:

Name Minimum Maximum Config_value Running Value

Agent XPs 0 1 0 0

it has been changed back to 0 again .. i have installed SQL sp 2.0 but that did not help me ..

Does anyone of you recognize this problem please help me

• In SQL Configuration Manager set the SQL Agent Service to start automatically. This should resolve your problem.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Hello Markus,

I already checked that , and it is configured to start automatically .The problem is that when the sql server agent tries to start it turns this value for the AgentXPs back from 1 to 0 and then the service stops immediately reporting no error but it states:

The SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service on local computer started and stopped . some services stop automatically if they have ni work to do , for example the Performance Logs and Alerts service.

I also checked if the SA_SQL user under witch all the SQL services are running have proper rights ( Local admin and no Policys are involved here )

• Check your application event viewer ... this is usually caused by a service running with invalid credentials, or the agent improperly configured (logs are pointing to an invalid directory for example).

• Hi the problem has been resolved , i tried to start the SQL Agent from the command line and got an Error 6 wich lead me to the register and here i found out that the path to the ErrorLogFile was pointing to a wrong location ( HKEY_LOCAL_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\SQLServerAgent)

after i changed the path i could start up the SQL Server Agent normally.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Maarten

• hi....

can u tell me wht changes u made in registry...

• Hello,

In the HKEY_LOCAL_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\SQLServerAgent i had to change the Value "ErrorLogFile" ( the path to the Errorlogfile was wrong , this was the reason he could not find the logfile and aborted the SQL Server Agent )

If this is the case also check the value "WorkingDirectory" to verify that the path here is correct.

Regards

Maarten Takens

• I had the same issue. When I attempted to start SQL Agent from the command line, no error was returned, however the problem was that the log file directory assigned to the SQL agent did not exist. I simply created the directory.

You can also assign SQL Agent another log directory using SQL Management Studio. No need to go into the registry. You may have to use sp_configure to set the Agent XPs in order to access the SQL Agent property page.

Bill

• Hi: I'm having the same problem...SQL Agent won't start. I've tried a domain user account, the domain administrator account, and the local system account, but none of those works.

I was able to enable Agent XPs, but it still won't start.

I checked the log path both in SMS and in the registry, and they are both correct.

If I try to start it from the "services" CP, I get:

"Could not start the SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service on Local Computer.

Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

• Hi

could you please let me know how to change the log file path in the registry. I changed the path and I am getting the same error after I restarted the services. I don't know how to change the log file path back to normal. thanks!

• kumaripaleti (9/26/2008)

Hi

could you please let me know how to change the log file path in the registry. I changed the path and I am getting the same error after I restarted the services. I don't know how to change the log file path back to normal. thanks!

The log file path? You mean for the SQL Agent?

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_set_sqlagent_properties @errorlog_file=''

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply