Text File Export column larger than 256 characters

• I'm having some difficulties exporting data to a text file.  The problem is that I have a column in which the data is stored in a varchar(8000) column.  When the data is exported to the text file I only get the first 256 characters.  Is this a known issue and I just haven't come across it before or is there some way around it I just havne't hough t of yet?

Thanks in advance!

-Luke.

Ps. SQL Server 2000 sp2 on Server 2k sp 4

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• How are you running the export? Via DTS? if you run the statement in Query Analyzer, the results also truncate the field?

DTS has a way to set the size of the field to export and you can change 256 to what you might need.

If using DTS, go to the package property and select disconnected edit. go to OLDB properties and select max characters per column (I did this a while back and I am doing it out of memory, please verify) and chage the value, by default should be 256, to what you might need.

If the result is also truncated at the query level, set the size also in query analyzer. Hope this helps a little.

One question though

• That worked perfectly.  Thanks very much.

Yeah it was Disconnected Edit|connections|textfile(destination)|OLE DB Properties | Max Characters per delimited Column.

What was your question?  you said "One question though"  and nothign more.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply