tempdb

• I have 2 TB of space which i can use only for tempdb and would like to configure 8 files, let me know if this is best. planing to create 8 files each with 100GB(initial size) with 10% of growth.

• doubt.. if i configure 8 files each with 10GB and once the 1st file get filled does to jump to the second file or does it grow 10% on the same file, which one would occur 1st. Thanks

• Why 8 files?

What's the max size your TempDB has ever reached?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Why would you want to create 8 files? Do you have contention on the tempdb allocation map pages? If not, there is no need to create piles of tempdb data files. Take a look at this thread for more info.

• I am trying to make 8 files just so i have better performance. Yes there are lot of activities on tempdb, my users insert millions of records into temp tables and query from there.

• Unless you have a specific form of contention, spitting into 8 files on the same drive may not give you much if any performance gains. Are you seeing contention on the allocation pages?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Whether or not you need 8 files - you should not set the auto-growth to a percentage. And, just because you have 2 TB of space available - does not mean you need to use it.

I definitely would not create 8 100GB files for tempdb - that just seems to be way over the top. You would have to be working with a system that is at least 10TB, very large tables and huge cross join type queries to use up 800GB of temp data.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I guess my question would be, what are you doing where you'd ever need almost a T-Byte of TempDB? What's the total MDF/LDF size for that server?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Very good question. I had a system with a 1TB database that heavily used tempDB (lots of temp tables all the time). Our TempDB? 6 files of 10GB each. More than enough (yes, we did have quite severe allocation contention hence the splitting of the files)

Gail Shaw

• I would also have a look at Microsoft Best Practices for storage:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966534.aspx

Franco

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply