TCP/IP vs. Named Pipes

• Good day,

I've got 2 identical jobs - only difference is one job is owned by a sysadmin and one is not. The job has one T-SQL step that executes a cross server query.

The job that is owned by a sysadmin executes under the Agent's startup account and the one that is not owned by a sysadmin executes under the owner's account. So far so good.

However, the job owned by a sysadmin attempts to connect to the linked server using TCP/IP, the other using Named Pipes. I continue to reproduce this, so it's not a fluke. Am I missing some configuration setting? Can anyone explain this?

Thanks so much.

• The linked server should determine how the connection is made, or possibly defaults in the control panel for that account. If you hadn't changed anything, however, I'd expect they would connect the same. Is this the same linked server for both jobs?

• Thanks for the reply Steve.

The 2 jobs are running the same proc - so yes they are using the same linked server. I don't see a related property of the linked server that I could set.

What do you mean by the "control panel for that account" - where would I check that?

Thanks again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply