Talking baseball

• The Cards are giving us Brewer's fans fits, too. It could go down to the wire.

• Way to go, Mo!!!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• From the other side of the world. Got my first ever practice as the second team's coach in Milnerton/Cape Town/South Africa behind me tonight. Wow, this is such a different job opposed to being on the playing side. But I guess I got it done quite OK, thanks to a lot of help from other (more) seasoned players. Needed that help, ended up with 16 players (expecting less than 9), so ended up splitting the crowd into infield and outfield which I don't like doing. Season is starting 2 1/2 weeks from now, still need to get a first-choice battery going. Got three decent pitchers but just one catcher at the moment. Hope some of you guys can feel with me... Oh, BTW, we are just playing fourth league, so no pressure 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Forgot to mention, we got our own little web site going at http://www.milnertonbaseball.co.za. Don't miss the biggest baseball in Africa in the Gallery!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/20/2011)

Forgot to mention, we got our own little web site going at http://www.milnertonbaseball.co.za. Don't miss the biggest baseball in Africa in the Gallery!

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing your reports from the other side of the world!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/20/2011)

From the other side of the world. Got my first ever practice as the second team's coach in Milnerton/Cape Town/South Africa behind me tonight. Wow, this is such a different job opposed to being on the playing side. But I guess I got it done quite OK, thanks to a lot of help from other (more) seasoned players. Needed that help, ended up with 16 players (expecting less than 9), so ended up splitting the crowd into infield and outfield which I don't like doing. Season is starting 2 1/2 weeks from now, still need to get a first-choice battery going. Got three decent pitchers but just one catcher at the moment. Hope some of you guys can feel with me... Oh, BTW, we are just playing fourth league, so no pressure 😀

Very cool, and have fun. We still stick with the basics here, running the standard infield (home, then first, then double plays, etc.) but not nearly enough outfield. I'd stick with the basics, and move quickly. Keep the kids fielding/throwing balls and smiling.

We wrapped up a few weeks ago and I am glad. It was a long season, and a busy world. Looking forward to next year, after 4 months off.

• Things are getting interesting . . .

• AL

wow! Boston was able to take one from New York with a 3 run jack in the 14th.

Tampa pulled off another win over Toronto which leaves them 1 game behind with 3 to go.

Boston in Baltimore (fenway south)

Tampa in New York

Not to be forgotten, but the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the State of California, United States of America, Planet Earth/Milky Way Galaxy are only 3 games back! If Boston gets swept and Tampa manages to only snag 1 win and LAAoAitSoCUSAPEMWG are able to sweep Texas, it would be a 3 way wildcard tie! We'd have a wildcard world series!

To be real though, Boston will take 2 of 3 and Tampa 1 of 3 (angels will get swept) leaving Boston in the wildcard spot by 2 games! oh man! so exciting!

NL

The NL wildcard race is pretty hot too! Atlanta holds a 1 game lead over St. Louis. With Atlanta playing at home against the the best team in baseball, they're going to have to play hard and pull out at least two wins to keep the wildcard spot.

On the other side of the coin, St. Louis heads to Houston to finish up their year against the worst team in baseball. This is the perfect opportunity for them to upset Atlanta and steal their post-season dreams.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• sooo,

I went to the Nationals final home game of the season last night against Atlanta. The wildcard implications with an Atlanta loss could be seen quite visibly on the faces of the Braves fans.

We had fun. I grabbed the last free XL "strausburg returns" curly W t-shirt in the stadium! The crowd was into the game, the sounds of the park were great. Our seats were in prime foul ball territory about halfway between first and the right field foul pole. We didn't get a chance to snag any though, the ones that were close landed in the sections on each side of us. Worst part of the whole day was being herded back onto the metro after the game. In the end, the Nats won so the fans were ecstatic.

My friend kept asking me if I wanted a beer, I declined knowing it wouldn't be cheap. He got a miller lite and a bag of cracker jacks ... $12.50! $9 beer must have been delightful! And for a $3.50 bag of cracker jacks (the bags that normally sell for .99 cents.), there better have been a sticker or something in there!

We had a good time, look forward to going back next year.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Rays!

• That was quite a game in New York. I held on until the 12th inning and couldn't keep my eyes open any more 🙂

As a Rangers fan, right now I'd rather see the Red Sox in the playoffs rather than the Rays. TB is doing pretty well, while Boston has struggled for weeks.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• I set the sleep timer on the TV last night, and heard Ellsbury's HR through closed eyelids and foggy thoughts . . .

• Go Rays and Braves

Ed Watson aka SQLGator
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Follow me on Twitter!
    Go Gators!

• Now that my Giants are out of it, I find myself rooting for St. Louis. Had to feel the Cubs fans's pain Saturday, though, when Marmol took the hill with a 1-0 lead and walked three in the ninth to basically hand the game over to the Cards. I just cannot stand the idea that the Atlanta fans could have any more pleasure waving their arms up and down while droning a poorly conceived and subtlely racist tomahawk chant. So, Go Cards!!

--edit: Fix a typo. Minor, but my inner copy-editor cringed.

• I'll admit to being torn about the AL Wild Card. Should I (1) root for the Red Sux to get in, since they're probably an easier out, or (2) root for the Rays to get in, since we Yankee fans take great pleasure in seeing the Red Sux miss the postseason!

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. I'm rather fascinated by the race, regardless!

Viewing 15 posts - 676 through 690 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply