Talking baseball

• Baltimore and Kansas City need to get out of the basement and be contenders again or at least above .500. They have been at the bottom of their divisions for a long time. AL East is very difficult to be competitive though.

• Ray K (7/26/2011)

Pity the poor Seattle Mariners.

Although I'm happy that my Yankees won last night, I feel bad for Seattle. No team should have to endure what they're going through right now.

I've always liked the Seattle Mariners (in fact, I can honestly say they're my second-favorite team after the Yankees). Hopefully, at some point, they'll experience the measure of success they had back when they had Griffey, Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson, etc.

Awww man, I think I shed a tear reading that article. It reminded me of the old NFL folly video about Joe and his magic bean. lol

I also feel bad for them, 16 straight losses is just heartbreaking for any team. I lived in KC for a while and remember how terrible the home team was. It's amazing what a good baseball team can do for a city.

on another milestone note, Time Wakefield got his 2000th strikeout (as a red sox member) the other night and is now only 1 win away from 200! Very deserving player. Yay for him.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (7/26/2011)

Ray K (7/26/2011)

Pity the poor Seattle Mariners.

Although I'm happy that my Yankees won last night, I feel bad for Seattle. No team should have to endure what they're going through right now.

I've always liked the Seattle Mariners (in fact, I can honestly say they're my second-favorite team after the Yankees). Hopefully, at some point, they'll experience the measure of success they had back when they had Griffey, Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson, etc.

Awww man, I think I shed a tear reading that article. It reminded me of the old NFL folly video about Joe and his magic bean. lol

I also feel bad for them, 16 straight losses is just heartbreaking for any team. I lived in KC for a while and remember how terrible the home team was. It's amazing what a good baseball team can do for a city.

on another milestone note, Time Wakefield got his 2000th strikeout (as a red sox member) the other night and is now only 1 win away from 200! Very deserving player. Yay for him.

Good for Shakey Wakey! Gotta love knuckleball pitchers! How old is he, 44 or something like that? I'll bet he could pitch into his fifties and still be effective!

I remember Wakefield when he started out with the Pirates!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• the Rockies have tanked, and are 9 games behind the central leading Pirates.

Going to see CIN-COL in Aug, not that it matters to either team.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/26/2011)

the Rockies have tanked, and are 9 games behind the central leading Pirates.

Going to see CIN-COL in Aug, not that it matters to either team.

Cool deal Steve.... Yea.. The Red's appear to be a .500 team this year. Everything fell into place last season and this year everything is not falling into place.

• Oh man, 19 innings and the braves win on a blown (?) call.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110727&content_id=22363652&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

It's REAL close, what do you guys think?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• Go Braves!

Ed Watson aka SQLGator
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Follow me on Twitter!
    Go Gators!

• I don't understand why they cannot have instant replay for game ending or non-continuous plays like that. OR... why on a call like that the other umpires can't overrule it if they see the play is wrong.

• Was watching the Yankee game last night -- wow.

CC perfect for almost seven innings!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• I agree, with technology there is no excuse for bad calls unless you're a purist who thinks they are part of the tradition LOL

Ed Watson aka SQLGator
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Follow me on Twitter!
    Go Gators!

• people already complain about the pace of the game being too slow, now you want to add instant replay?

NFL style? "Each team gets 3 challenges (not spending a challenge if the challenged call is overturned) except in the 9th when the upstairs umpire can challenge on close calls. And you can not challenge deadball plays.

meh, Blown calls are part of the game. This one just happened to be a call to end a same-game-double-header. Strike zones vary from pitch to pitch, from batter to batter. Balks vary just the same.

As much as I can see the other side of the coin, it's 1 game out of 162. If this one game costs you the playoffs, you have bigger problems.

Of the thousands of calls a home plate umpire makes throughout the year, he makes 1 bad call and people cry to change the rules of the game.

off topic - Why are there no female umpires!?!?!

• calvo (7/27/2011)

Oh man, 19 innings and the braves win on a blown (?) call.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110727&content_id=22363652&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

It's REAL close, what do you guys think?

Not close. Tagged, even an "ole", the runner doesn't hit the plate until he stands up, and then his body language shows he knows he was tagged as he steps on the plate.

Bad call in the 1st inning, but a horrible call in extra innings, and no reason not to instant reply that.

• Ed.Watson (7/27/2011)

I agree, with technology there is no excuse for bad calls unless you're a purist who thinks they are part of the tradition LOL

Well, they are part of the game. Just like the spot of a ball during a punt out of bounds. Off sides calls in futbol. Bad calls (judgement calls) are part of the game. Shoot, every pitch is a judgement call (potential "bad" call).

Maybe having replay available in post-season games only is a good place to start.

• I have complained for years that they need to speed up the game, stop all the glove readjustment, helmet readjustment, crotch grabbing.....having played baseball through my teen years, if we had done that for five minutes between each pitch the umpire would have had a duck fit....

Ed Watson aka SQLGator
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Follow me on Twitter!
    Go Gators!

• I guess my take is that Umpires are there to get the call right plain and simple. That is their entire purpose. What irks me is that if the call is wrong and it looks obvious it is wrong that unless the umpire that makes the bad call asks another umpire what he thought that is it. No other umpire can say anything until the calling umpire asks for help. That is just not right at all.

Balls and strikes are one thing... that can be subjective based on where the ball was when it crossed the plate. An obvious is he out or not is a different thing based sometimes only on the positioning of the Umpire.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply