Talking baseball

• Peter Maloof (7/9/2011)

Wow! Talk about doin' it in style! Congrats, Jeet! Only the second person to have their 3,000th hit be a home run!

That was impressive.

Now for the bigger question...

Jeter's 3000th hit... it's going! it's going! "omg it's coming to me!" *catch*...

Do you give it back or keep it for yourself? (potential QOTD?)

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• I'd give it back. Ultimately it doesn't mean as much to me as to the player.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/11/2011)

I'd give it back. Ultimately it doesn't mean as much to me as to the player.

Definitely give it back. It belongs to Jeter and the Yankees, and it belongs in the Hall of Fame.

But I'd want two things:

1. To personally hand the ball to Jeter.

2. An autographed piece of equipment (bat, ball, cap, etc.) in return.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Peter Maloof (7/11/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/11/2011)

I'd give it back. Ultimately it doesn't mean as much to me as to the player.

Definitely give it back. It belongs to Jeter and the Yankees, and it belongs in the Hall of Fame.

But I'd want two things:

1. To personally hand the ball to Jeter.

2. An autographed piece of equipment (bat, ball, cap, etc.) in return.

I don't think he got to hand it to him, but he did get some decent concessions.

-Met Jeter in person

-autographed bats

-autographed jerseys

-autographed balls

-deluxe box seats for the rest of the season.

The ball was estimated to be worth $100,000 - $250,000 at auction. Man, tough call.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• Yeah, that ball would mean more to the player than to me, too. But just give it to him?

If Mr. Millionaire handed you an envelope with $100,000, would you use it to buy a historic baseball and give it to the related player or the HOF? Of course not. I'd like to think that I'd make a rational decision in this sort of situation. A few baseballs, bats and jerseys sound good, but what's that guy going to do with them? Keep one of each maybe and then watch EBay for the rest of the answer.

One item a ballclub could offer me that would really tempt me would be a life-time golden pass to all minor or major league games regardless of where.

• All-Star game is over. The National League has home field advantage in the World Series, Robinson Cano is the Homerun Derby champion, and Jeter got dumped on for not playing in the all-star game.

Back to the regular season!

• Sorry for my silence, folks -- was on vacation last week, and am just getting caught up!

• Had fun at Camden Yards last week, though the game itself was nothing to write home about. Final score: Indians 8, Orioles 4
    • Got to shake hands with Boog Powell there! Also got his autograph on my game program, and finally got to sample his BBQ!
    • This Yankee fan was also excited about making a pilgrimage earlier that same day: the Babe Ruth birthplace and museum[/url]!
    • Agreed about Jeter's HR ball -- I would've given it back as well (but that's just me).
    • How about the Rays and Red Sox on Sunday? 16 innings? Wow. I tried to stay up to watch, but only made it as far as the 10th or 11th.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• welcome back!

I've been talking to myself in here lately. I made it to the top of the 11th and saw it was midnight(?) and let the sleep timer shut the TV off. I couldn't stay up any longer. Happy to see they pulled out the win though.

Could you imagine that? Playing a 6 hour game til 0200 then flying for a few hours and checking into a hotel at 0600 just to get up and start your routine for the next evening's game? wow. those boys need a break!

Ortiz and Gregg suspensions reduced to 3 games (from 4) and fines reduced. They didn't even do anything! Gregg yelled at Ortiz then Ortiz ran out to the mound and hugged/danced with Gregg. I don't get it 😉

• I saw a Discovery Channel special on the destruction of old Yankee Stadium while flying across the Atlantic. Very cool how they pulled it down, given the proximity to the subway and also the World Series going on at the time.

Also neat to see them pulling up the sod for souvenir sales as well as the lockers.

• Yeah, you can buy just about anything that came out of the old Stadium -- sod, seats, lockers, etc. As much of a die-hard fan that I am, I doubt I'd go to that length for memorabilia. (Although the Stadium seats would probably look good in my basement, whenever I get around to finishing it! :-))

Even the Stadium gift shop sells the same grass seed that they use for the turf!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Some musings on this weekend's Hall of Fame inductions . . .

• Took the family to Cincinnati for the Reds hosting the Braves and got to see quite a good ESPN Sunday night baseball game. A rain storm went through Cincinnati in the afternoon so by the time we got there it was only 80 degrees instead of the 94 it was earlier so the weather was perfect. AND they won it on the first pitch of the bottom of the 9th with a Drew Stubbs home run!

• Pity the poor Seattle Mariners.

Although I'm happy that my Yankees won last night, I feel bad for Seattle. No team should have to endure what they're going through right now.

I've always liked the Seattle Mariners (in fact, I can honestly say they're my second-favorite team after the Yankees). Hopefully, at some point, they'll experience the measure of success they had back when they had Griffey, Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson, etc.

• Good to finally see the Pirates winning again after 18 years of sub .500 seasons.

• Markus (7/26/2011)

Good to finally see the Pirates winning again after 18 years of sub .500 seasons.

And they're in pennant contention to boot!

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply