Talking baseball

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/14/2011)

Should we have a mini pool as to when he gets 3000?

June 25.

Actually it will be at least into July. Jeter went on the DL for now.

July 8th.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/14/2011)

Jeter is six hits away, but hurt (http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310613110). Should we have a mini pool as to when he gets 3000?

What do we win? more SSC points? (lawlz)

Being a Red Sox fan, I don't care if it is at home or away. But there is a conspiracy for him to get it at home. He'll be out for a week or so with a pulled calf muscle and miraculously he'll be all better to get his 3000 hits on the 26th.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (6/14/2011)

What do we win? more SSC points?

I think 3,000 SSC points would be appropriate.

How 'bout it, Steve?

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Ha! I can't just add points. Though maybe a Question of the day worth 3,000 points 😉

Actually it will be at least into July. Jeter went on the DL for now.

• Selig poo-poo'd on the Dodgers TV deal for $3b. The owners are at a loss of $385m up front.

So sketchy, but good for teh commish I guess. From Selig's point of view, the franchise is more important than anything else. Now he can use the deal as a perk when selling the team.

FOR SALE: 1 Los Angeles Dodgers Major League Baseball franchise. Comes with $3b Fox TV deal! Asking $450m obo. Cash only offers please.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• Wow... where is my checkbook.... 450 Mill for a premium market team with a storied history up for sale. This doesn't happen every day.

• Guess I should put a disclaimer huh? I just made up that 450 number, no word on how much he'll sell it for yet.

• So, what does everyone think about the managerial change in Florida?

Personally, the only reason why I don't think Jeff Loria is #1 on the list of Worst Baseball Owners is Frank McCourt.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• I would agree. Being a Red's fan I can relate... the two previous owners of the Red's really did not see the importance of a manager.... Marge (toward the end of her time owning the Red's) just did not have the fire in the belly to win. Jack McKeon took over managing the Red's for $1 if I remember correctly and was a decent manager at the time. However, an 80 year old manager?

The Marlins are supposed to move into their new ballpark in the next couple of years too... rewarding an ownership that doesn't seem to want to spend must on players. Although, they don't have a very good fan base there. They probably should have never been awarded a Franchise from the get go though.

• Montreal isn't a baseball hotbed either, yet their fans (what few they had) were enthusiastic. (I'd seen a few games there, so I got to experience it firsthand.) They could've had something going there had they played their cards right, but Loria succeeded in driving them into the ground. He was absolutely the wrong man for them.

I understand that Loria's idol was George Steinbrenner -- the bad Steinbrenner. As a Yankee fan, I appreciated what (Steinbrenner) did in later years, but in his worst "Bronx Zoo" years, I stopped being a Yankee fan to protest against him (the only thing that kept me from swearing them off altogether was Don Mattingly).

IMHO, Jeffrey Loria has absolutely zero business being in charge of a baseball team.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• $450MM coincidentally is probably about what the debt is for the Dodgers. Forbes magazine put the team's value at number three in baseball this past March at $800MM.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/33/baseball-valuations-11_Los-Angeles-Dodgers_338671.html

• Dodgers are in deep do-do with Red ink. Will MLB just give 'em money to make payroll every two weeks? I don't think they will trade off their good players because who ever becomes the new owners won't want that to happen. LA is a big market and should easily be able to be competitive.

• Yeah, they lost last night. But come on! How could you not pick this guy off!

Run Papi, RUN!

• Oh man!

Riggleman (Nationals) just up and quits after a 1-0 win against the Mariners.

He said he did it on principal, but even if he's right about Rizzo not wanting to have a conversation, you don't just quit like that.

Someone likened it to players in a contract year with a low likelyhood of being re-signed. Should they too just quit? (some might quit mentally, but they still play). It's a chance to up your game to either get re-signed or make yourself marketable to other teams.

Bad leadership (career) decision? I guess only time will tell.

• calvo (6/24/2011)

Oh man!

Riggleman (Nationals) just up and quits after a 1-0 win against the Mariners.

He said he did it on principal, but even if he's right about Rizzo not wanting to have a conversation, you don't just quit like that.

Someone likened it to players in a contract year with a low likelyhood of being re-signed. Should they too just quit? (some might quit mentally, but they still play). It's a chance to up your game to either get re-signed or make yourself marketable to other teams.

Bad leadership (career) decision? I guess only time will tell.

I think Riggleman can pretty much consider his career to be over. Deservedly so.

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply