Talking baseball

• calvo (6/10/2011)

Oh well... saweepity do.

😛

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• All I can say is that my Brewers are doing great right now. Swept the Cards and on to the Cubs. This last weekend series against the Cards was amazing. Prince is on fire. Very nice.:-D

• Cerveceros!

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (6/13/2011)

Cerveceros!

Most definitely on Saturday. The cards were the Cardinales.

• Not sure how many of you have heard about this.

There's talk that MLB may realign. (Here's an article link that talks about it.)

Long story short: the proposal is that they create two 15-team leagues, do away with divisions, and the top five in each league makes the playoffs. One NL team would have to switch to the AL; right now, the talk is that Houston would be that team.

What thinkest thou? :discuss:

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• I will believe it when I see it. They said the players union is not behind this so I seriously doubt it will happen.

• On the surface I'm against it, but then again, we've realigned before.

I'm not sure if the 5 team playoff makes sense, but it does give the top team a chance to rest a bit more and let 4-5 play before the real playoffs. My big concern is that they might be extending the season. Already it runs a little too long some years, the WS getting into Nov a few times, which makes weather a factor, and they're bumping into too much other competition for fans with football/hockey/basketball all in play by that time.

I wouldn't mind having another team in the playoff races because they are exciting, but if they do this, then we need a few more double headers during the season and compress it down to end in late Sept.

• meh...

Yeah, I heard about it last night during the indians/yankee game.

They mentioned talk about a bye-week for the top team/top # teams while wildcard series are played out.

I don't know what it will do to the regular season but the playoffs will be a little tougher to get into. Right now, a team only has to battle 4(5 in some divisions) other teams for the top spot to make it to the playoffs. After the realignment, you would need to beat 10 other teams to make it. I dunno... I don't know if you would call it more competitive, but it seems like you're less likely to see small market teams in the playoffs at all.

They also mentioned no(less?) interleague play. This might hurt some franchises too. Franchises that rely on big market teams for additional income.

Interesting idea though, we'll see what baseball makes of it. Instead of moving the astros to the AL, two expansion teams would be cool.

Delaware Databasers and the Oregon Octagons are my choices.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Ray:

I like it, because I'd like to see the All-Star break and interleague play replaced by a home-and-home series against a 'natural' rival in the other league (Cubs-White Sox, Royals-Cardinals, etc.). If the Pirates moved to the AL, there would be ten natural rivalries - a good start.

I'd keep 3 divisions in each league, with the division winners making the playoffs (the wild card is an abomination). I'd also keep the unbalanced schedule, and if MLB insists on playing from March to almost October, I'd have the season open and close at the warm-weather stadia (Yankee Stadium in March?).

I'll save the DH and the save rule as topics for another day.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/14/2011)

On the surface I'm against it, but then again, we've realigned before.

I'm not sure if the 5 team playoff makes sense, but it does give the top team a chance to rest a bit more and let 4-5 play before the real playoffs. My big concern is that they might be extending the season. Already it runs a little too long some years, the WS getting into Nov a few times, which makes weather a factor, and they're bumping into too much other competition for fans with football/hockey/basketball all in play by that time.

I wouldn't mind having another team in the playoff races because they are exciting, but if they do this, then we need a few more double headers during the season and compress it down to end in late Sept.

If they realign the Interleague games will most likely go away. Interleague games are a hot button. Personally.... I like them to a degree. It seems very silly that two teams in the same state don't play each other without Interleague play unless they meet in the World Series. Ohio teams, Florida teams, California teams, Chicago..etc. Personally I would think a Dodgers fan would be more likely to go to an Angles game when the Dodgers visit than fly to Ohio to see the Dodgers play the Reds....

The season is already too long as it starts too early and ends too late for some of the towns that are in the colder regions of the US. So, any lengthening of the playoffs could have snowflakes in them.

• I have to say that I don't like Interleague play as it is. It's too much mixing. I'd prefer to have just two series each year. One "rival" that is local, and then one rotating team. I do like seeing the Yankees in CO, but I don't think we need to play every team in one of the other divisions each year.

• Jeter is six hits away, but hurt (http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310613110). Should we have a mini pool as to when he gets 3000?

Games on the schedule are:

Tue, Jun 14 vs Texas

Wed, Jun 15 vs Texas

Thu, Jun 16 vs Texas

Fri, Jun 17 @Cubs

Sat, Jun 18 @Cubs

Sun, Jun 19 @Cubs

Mon, Jun 20 @Cincinnati

Tue, Jun 21 @Cincinnati

Wed, Jun 22 @Cincinnati

Fri, Jun 24 vs Colorado

Sat, Jun 25 vs Colorado

Sun, Jun 26 vs Colorado

• I don't think there's any conspiracy, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't play much on the road. This is assuming he doesn't go on the Disabled List.

I'll go out on a limb and predict his 3000th hit is of the infield variety.

</sarcasm>

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Peter Maloof (6/14/2011)

I don't think there's any conspiracy, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't play much on the road. This is assuming he doesn't go on the Disabled List.

I'll go out on a limb and predict his 3000th hit is of the infield variety.

</sarcasm>

Being a Red's fan I'd love to see it when they are in Cincinnati!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/14/2011)

Jeter is six hits away, but hurt (http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310613110). Should we have a mini pool as to when he gets 3000?

Games on the schedule are:

Tue, Jun 14 vs Texas

Wed, Jun 15 vs Texas

Thu, Jun 16 vs Texas

Fri, Jun 17 @Cubs

Sat, Jun 18 @Cubs

Sun, Jun 19 @Cubs

Mon, Jun 20 @Cincinnati

Tue, Jun 21 @Cincinnati

Wed, Jun 22 @Cincinnati

Fri, Jun 24 vs Colorado

Sat, Jun 25 vs Colorado

Sun, Jun 26 vs Colorado

As long as he doesn't do it on Thursday -- I'm teaching class that night!!!

I'm going to say that he does it on Sunday, June 19 in Chicago.

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply