Talking baseball

• calvo (5/27/2015)

47 games in, we need a recap.

Look at Houston! 2nd best record in baseball at 30-17. I love rooting for the underdog, with a couple exceptions. Washington is doing well since they figured out how to score some runs. I still don't like Bryce Harper but you can't argue with stats. The Harper in Pinstripes prediction is still alive.

KC looking good 28-17 and the Yankees are doing better than my bold prediction! 🙁 A-Rod thoughts? He's been quiet just doing his thing. He's appealing the decision of the Yankees front office to not pay his 661 bonus. Sorry NY, a contract is a contract. You can't not pay him because you don't like what he did, should have put stipulations in place when dealing with a known doper.

Boston.... Boston.... what happened Boston. Give me something to work with here, all I want at this point is consistency and a winning record. 21-25 just doesn't cut it.

Pace of game rules have been in play for a while, thoughts? The month of April being the first has shown that games are 8 minutes faster than last year's average. Sure, faster, but meh. Seems like its another tool in the umpire's toolbox to toss people from the game...ahemHarper.

Houston... time will tell if they can keep on keepin on... I doubt it.... but that is what 162 will show. The Twins have the 3rd best record in AL.... we shall see how it all shakes out by end of season. Pirates are so, so this year so far. My Reds are sunk and the All Star game in in Cincinnati this season....

• Amazed by HOU. Still surprised to see them in the AL. That constantly messes me up still.

NYY, pay A-Rod. I don't like him, and was hoping he'd retire, but he didn't, and he's quietly playing well. Saw him belt a nice single the other day, swinging cleanly and smoothly through the zone. Always exciting to see history being made, even if I was hoping he wouldn't pass Willie.

Rockies continue to confound the world. So many people love their lineup, which seems to be trying to compete with the pitching staff for the lowest ERA each day.

• I have to admit that not only has A-Rod been playing well, he's also been behaving himself. He seems like a changed man. I like this guy a lot better. Where's he been for the past ten years?

Time will tell whether or not he really is a new person, but for the time being, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• And what about these pitchers? Rosin, pine tar, sunscreen on arms? Their argument is that they need a better feel and control of the ball for the batter's safety. They each ended up with 8 game suspensions. Why do they think they can get away with this stuff! Also, when you suspend a pitcher who only pitches every 5-7 games what good does an 8 game suspension do? Sure, they don't get paid (i think), but they only miss 1 start. In that sense, the penalty isn't that severe. Perhaps a more harsh penalty would be they miss their next 3 scheduled starts.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (5/27/2015)

And what about these pitchers? Rosin, pine tar, sunscreen on arms? Their argument is that they need a better feel and control of the ball for the batter's safety. They each ended up with 8 game suspensions. Why do they think they can get away with this stuff! Also, when you suspend a pitcher who only pitches every 5-7 games what good does an 8 game suspension do? Sure, they don't get paid (i think), but they only miss 1 start. In that sense, the penalty isn't that severe. Perhaps a more harsh penalty would be they miss their next 3 scheduled starts.

I agree, I always thought a starters suspension HAS to be higher... he only plays once every 5 days.... once in a while every 6 if the team has a day off!

• Some interesting things at the MLB draft this year: Shortstops Loom Large at Top of Draft as Teams Pass on Pitchers

We had a local high school player, Garrett Whitley, who was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays. That made some pretty big news locally.

I'll have to take a look at who the Houston Astros drafted -- their Single-A NY-Penn affiliate plays only a mile from my house, so I'll have to see who's on the roster!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• With the Heston no-hitter yesterday, don't forget to log into your MLB account at 1500 est and get your free Domino's pizza!

I went to the Aldie Senators opening day on Saturday! $5 to get in and root for your Valley Baseball League home team. Only got to see a couple innings before the kids were ready to go home, but it was still fun!

Alright, I gotta say it. I'm tired of seeing these big leaguers, these role models, these titans of sport, on TV with giant wads of chew in their cheek. Think they could "strongly suggest" not doing this? Could they consider it a negative perception of players and teams?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• Been pretty quiet here!

What's everyone's thoughts on this year's All-Star picks?

And who deserves to be the last All-Star chosen for each league? (My vote: Brett Gardner for the AL.)

Discuss!

• Haven't watched too closely, but did watch part of the HR derby last night. Saw Pujols pull out his first round win at the buzzer.

I like the 4:00 format rather than the outs. A better watch for me.

• The HR Derby was great. I really like the new format... and.. of course being a Red's fan loved seeing Todd Frazier win it. 😀

• Yeah, timed format was pretty cool. It forced a buzzer beater feel, and the generated sense of urgency made for good drama.

Reds fan.... What about Pete Rose in the franchise four!!!! I think it was good to see him involved in some activities again. I'm hoping for a removal of his ban. Think he would be voted into the hall of fame if it were lifted?

• calvo (7/17/2015)

What about Pete Rose in the franchise four!!!! I think it was good to see him involved in some activities again. I'm hoping for a removal of his ban. Think he would be voted into the hall of fame if it were lifted?

No. I disagree with this one, especially in light of the fact that he bet on games as a player. He is, in my opinion, arrogant and selfish, and he sullied the integrity of the game. He does not belong in Cooperstown.

• Ray K (7/17/2015)

calvo (7/17/2015)

What about Pete Rose in the franchise four!!!! I think it was good to see him involved in some activities again. I'm hoping for a removal of his ban. Think he would be voted into the hall of fame if it were lifted?

No. I disagree with this one, especially in light of the fact that he bet on games as a player. He is, in my opinion, arrogant and selfish, and he sullied the integrity of the game. He does not belong in Cooperstown.

Completely disagree.

He's the leading hitter. should be in Cooperstown, allowed to go to games, but no involvement with coaching, managing, or any employment with a team or MLB.

• Trade deadline hot stove is getting interesting. To wit:

• Shane Victorino to the Angels
    • Troy Tulowitzki and LaTroy Hawkins to the Blue Jays
    • Jose Reyes to the Rockies
    • Johnny Cuero to the Royals
    • Tyler Clippard to the Mets

Who's next?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,486 through 1,500 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply