Table Naming Question

• I just ran across a database here at work that has several tables where the name ends with a $. For example: Calls$

What does the $ signify and is it automatically added to the name?

If someone could point me to an article about this, that would be fine. I'm here cause I can't find anything on this subject to explain it.

• jere42 (8/3/2010)

I just ran across a database here at work that has several tables where the name ends with a $. For example: Calls$

What does the $ signify and is it automatically added to the name?

If someone could point me to an article about this, that would be fine. I'm here cause I can't find anything on this subject to explain it.

Most probably just a naming convention - don't worry.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I've never seen that, but it's valid. I don't like it, but I agree with Paul that it's likely just convention

• It's could be data loaded in from an excel spreadsheet. Tabs in excel need to be referenced with a trailing $.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Good call on the Excel loads. I found someone here who had seen it before and I found that the owner is loading some data from Excel.

Thanks for all the help. We're all set. 😎

• That makes sense. Good old DTS/SSIS defaults.

I'd change them 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply