T-SQL Training Search

• I have an Application Support person that has very basic hands on knowledge ot T-SQL language. I would like to send him to some T-SQL training to advance his T-SQL knowledge past "example" coding from existing code. Can anyone recommend a course or selection of courses from a training center? I'd like a couple of options to look at. Thanks,

Eric

• The best training for SQL Server is install the product and use the BOL(books online).  But try the link below for free T-SQL training.  Hope this helps.

http://www.mssqlserver.com/tsql/

Kind regards,

Gift Peddie

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks Gift...I'm actually looking for some classroom T-SQL for this person. This person does not need SQL Admin training and I feel it is important that he learn in a classroom atmosphere for the fullest experience. I will have him review this free content in preparation.

Thanks again,

Eric

• If that is the case you may want to start the person with the two Ken Henderson books, they are the best in T-SQL for SQL Server 7.0/2000.  The reason is class room will cover the stuff Microsoft way but Ken Henderson is what actually works and there is a big difference. Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201700468/ref=pd_sim_b_1/102-7028047-8877724?ie=UTF8

Kind regards,

Gift Peddie

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• New Horizon's T-SQL course is pretty good. They are all over the country.

• How much does this person already know? What kind of TSQL duties will be asked of them?

I took the New Horizon's after class after a few months of teaching myself and I felt it was a waste of time. If the person can select, join, group by, insert, update, etc... then I would not suggest the NH class. It's more of an intorductory class with very few working examples.

• I was looking into the New Horizon's T-SQL class. I was under the impression that it was an "advanced" t-sql class. Is this the case? I have a good grasp of t-sql commands, but I am looking for more knowledge on query tuning and increasing code efficiency. For instance I created a sp that retrieves data from two dbs and five tables. I was able to develop a query that would return the information needed, but it took too long for our end users. I spent at least a day messing with the sp and was finally able to get the query to return the needed results in 0 seconds. I'd rather understand the "behind the scenes processing that goes on", in hopes of better understanding the most efficient way to write an sp the first or second time, without spending a day doing it. Would the New Horizon's class be a waste of time?

• The TSQL Class (Course 2071, Querying MS SQL Server 2000 with T-SQL (2 days)) would be a waste of your time.

The database programming class is really what you're looking for (and is a great class).

http://www.newhorizons.com/content/outlineDisplay.aspx?SKU=300000101

• Thanks John, the db programming class was the one I was looking at. I appreciate your input. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply