System tables

• Hi,

I'm new to MS SQL, and I'm trying to port code from Interbase/Firebird to MS SQL. It's actually a replication tool that I'm extending to be able to function with MS SQL, so I need to be able to support as many different versions as possible...

So my question is, could someone explain (or perhaps refer to a document somewhere) what are the main differences in the system tables and in trigger/SP code between version 8 (MSDE, which I had been using for my tests up till now) and version 9 (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition)? I have a good deal of SQL and T-SQL which mostly works in version 8, but there seem to be some incompatibilities with version 2005.

In particular, I was previously checking sysobjects.status > 0 to see make sure the object was not a system object. This no longer works in 2005. What is the recommended way to do this in version 2005?

For a specific example, here's my query for retrieving the list of primary key fields for a given table:

select sc.name as pk_name

from sysobjects o

join sysobjects p on p.parent_obj = o.id

join sysindexes si on si.name = p.name

join sysindexkeys sik on sik.id = o.id and sik.indid = si.indid

join syscolumns sc on sc.id = o.id and sc.colid = sik.colid

where o.type='U'

and p.xtype='PK'

and o.status >0

and o.name=:table_name

order by sik.keyno

Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jonathan Neve.

Microtec Communications.

http://www.microtec.fr/copycat/cc

Best Regards,

Jonathan Neve
    microtec.fr

• Check out BOL for different views under INFORMATION_SCHEMA.

Dinakar Nethi
    Life is short. Enjoy it.

• Jonathan,

It is always better to query INFORMATION_SCHEMA views rather than directly quering the sytem table.

Microsoft recommends using INFORMATION_SCHEMA views.

Regards,
    Sudheer 

My Blog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply