SYSPROCESSES - Anybody has a clue?

• Environment: XP Windows, MS SQL Server 2000 SP3 - 8 proc. box dedicated db PeopleSoft server.

Problem: No updates for some column within system table ?sysprocesses?. All what I can see for columns: 'waittime' and 'waitresource' are '0' and blanks respectively. The value of column 'lastwaittype' is 'MISCELLANEOUS' for all spid-s. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Milo

• I hope you're not really using XP, that's a big problem right there.

I definitely get values for these columns. I'd suspect something is wrong with the install, some patch, something. Has it always been like this or is this a new noticed thing? You might be better off calling PSS, but I suspect they'll tell you to reinstall.

• Wait a minute; an 8 proc XP machine.  Good God!  I believe the only OS that supports SQL with more than 4 procs is Advanced Server (or is it DataCenter?), so I don't see how that could be working right.

Signature is NULL

• Sorry for wrong information!  My mind was somewhere else when I wrote info. OS 'Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)'

Strange behaviour started recently. I use few SP that addresses 'sysprocesses' to be able to track locking. Last week I noticed that 'sysprocesses' does not have all information. I check other sys.. tables, and it is OK.

I would like to know the way that SQL server update 'sysprocesses' table exp. 'waittime' and 'waittype' column.

My database server communicates with three application servers. Everything seems works ok.

Thank you very much for your help.

Milo

• Milo,

You should check the Microsoft knowledge base.  Here's an article about what waittime and waittype mean.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822101&Product=sql

I'm sure you could find more information as well.

cl

Signature is NULL

• Milo,

Did you get anywhere?  We are having this identical problem on our servers.

Same version of OS you have installed on the server.

SQL Enterprise Server Edition.

2004-10-20 16:09:10.47 server    Microsoft SQL Server  2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86)

Dec 17 2002 14:22:05

Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

The symptom we are seeing (and it is limited to one server, and one we just built):

-waittime is stuck at 0

-waittype always says MISCELLANEOUS.

Help?

Mark Andersen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply