Synonyms - replication

• Hi All,

I have recently been asked to take ownership of an existing SQL server instance which has databases that use synonyms.

I've sturggled to find any kind of comprehensive documentation about schemas; i know what they are used for but thats about it.

I'm curious because i dont seem to be able to include them in a publication for a replicated database.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good source of information on synonyms?

• You can check this article for information on schemas. There's good information about synonyms in BOL - is there anything specific about synonyms outside of this information that you're looking for?

You cannot replicate synonyms (check the list of objects you can replicate). What you can do is replicate the object on which the synonym is created (if possible) and create the synonym on the subscriber (this step of creating synonyms on the subscriber can also be included as part of the replication setup scripts so that it is done everytime you setup replication).

• Thanks for the response, i'll check out the article that you have suggested.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply