Super SQLServer configuration

• We purchased a super server to consolidate our sql versions. The spec as follows :

HP Proliant BL480c x5460 4G (2P) - BIG Blade

2 x Quad Core Intel X5460 3.a6 GHz each

12 GB RAM - Comprising 4 x 1Gb sticks and 4 x 2Gb sticks

2 x 146Gb SAS SFF HDD - Raid 1+0

Fibre Channel LUN's from the Clarrion will be presented to the Server for SQL data, Logs and SQL Temp.

I' planning to install 64-bit software, but no clue what version of windows, what version of SQL etc.

There is 12GB of RAM, is it enough ?

My plan is to break the disk space as follows :

LONSQL1 2 x 146GbLocal1+0C:\OS50GB

Local1+0E:\Page File20GB

Local1+0F:\SQL Install70GB

?FC1+0G:\SQL Data?

?FC1+0H:\Logs?

?FC1+0I:\SQL Temp?

your advice is really appreciated

• It depends, SQL likes to retain as much information in Memory as possible, I would take the total size of the active Databases and multiple by 1.5 or 2 if at all possible. Memory is cheap.

Drive configuration, again if DB is large and a lot of activity, I would consider SQL2005 and use File Groups to put the DB across multiple Drives for speed access.

• Thayal Muhunthan (8/20/2008)

We purchased a super server to consolidate our sql versions. The spec as follows :

HP Proliant BL480c x5460 4G (2P) - BIG Blade

2 x Quad Core Intel X5460 3.a6 GHz each

12 GB RAM - Comprising 4 x 1Gb sticks and 4 x 2Gb sticks

2 x 146Gb SAS SFF HDD - Raid 1+0

Fibre Channel LUN's from the Clarrion will be presented to the Server for SQL data, Logs and SQL Temp.

I' planning to install 64-bit software, but no clue what version of windows, what version of SQL etc.

There is 12GB of RAM, is it enough ?

My plan is to break the disk space as follows :

LONSQL1 2 x 146GbLocal1+0C:\OS50GB

Local1+0E:\Page File20GB

Local1+0F:\SQL Install70GB

your advice is really appreciated

this is a joke right???

BTW you cant have RAID 1+0 with just 2 disks whatever planet you reside on 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• The HW we purchased supprts 64bit. I am definetely insalling 64 bit SQL2005.

But, anyone advice on Windows (64 bit) version standard or Enterprise ?

How can I configure the disk partions ?

Is there any other better way to configure the disk partions ?

• Perry Whittle (8/20/2008)

with 12GB RAM you'll need 2003 64bit Enterprise

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758523.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Make sure you set the max memory for each instance. You do not want multiple instances on a 64 bit server competing for memory. It can lead to interesting issues (like when one restats and can't get any memory because the others have allocated everything.)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank god for that

I was exactly planning for multiple instances. Now probably install all on single instance.

• multiple instances are ok as long as you pay attention to the instructions Gail has given you

• you can run standard windows 2003 x64 with 12GB RAM. You need the enterprise for clustering and a few other things like ADFS.

• Perry Whittle (8/20/2008)

Perry Whittle (8/20/2008)

with 12GB RAM you'll need 2003 64bit Enterprise

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758523.aspx

this applies only to 32 bit versions

• I found the following recommendation for hard disk configuration from

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1328

But, unable to figure out the suitable configuration for me.

As I mention before we got 2 x 146Gb SAS SFF HDD - Raid 1+0.

and planning to allocate (140GB) 1+0 for OS, page file and directory for SQL Install.

The SAN LUN's will hold :

Is there any better way than this configuration ?

I there any issues allocating 1+0 parity rathar than 5 ?

• looks OK

we usually put OS, sql and whatever on drive c and the db's on the san or external storage

• You can't do Raid 10 (striped and mirrored) with only two drives. It requires a minimum of 4. Also Raid 10 doesn't use parity. Raid 5 and a couple of the other less-used ones use parity.

The only things you can do with 2 drives are either striped (which has no redundency) or mirrored. If that's the OS drive, I suggest mirrored (I think that's RAID 0)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SQL Noob (8/20/2008)

this applies only to 32 bit versions

according to the MS features the only memory caveats are for 64GB RAM and above

SQL2005 Std however will support OS max RAM

• GilaMonster (8/20/2008)

You can't do Raid 10 (striped and mirrored) with only two drives. It requires a minimum of 4.

Gail i pointed this out already but he still plans to try and use it :Whistling:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply