Super DBA

• Supergirl

This video is a little silly, but it's an interesting idea. I found it hard to see the screen and understand what the characters were exactly saying, but this is certainly a scenario I've encountered and used a log tool to fix in the past.

It's the age of YouTube and video streaming to your cell phone, so why not have video to advertise your products? And why not make them a little fun at the same time. Maybe we'll start to see spoofs of all kinds of "geek" movies, with new situations added to familiar movies. Can you imagine Darth Vader's response to someone forgetting their WHERE clause? Now that might be funny.

Or can you see Neo whirling around the matrix, restoring a compressed backup before the agents can overwhelm some system? The possibilities are endless.

I know that Brian Knight's JumpstartTV has proven popular with a variety of videos showing different SQL tasks and I'm sure we'll see more in the future. And Red Gate has provided a number of videos with their products, acting as online help tutorials to help you get started using their products.

As much as I prefer the written word, it seems that video is becoming a larger and larger part of our lives every day. And with SQL Server 2008, it seems Microsoft is aiming for more of an impact with the addition of a number of features for managing BLOB data inside the platform.

• Hi Steve!

Is it hard to invent new stuff for Editorial on evryday basis? Just curiuos.

• How terrible is the acting in the video. DBA's can't be actors (Even though we do it on a daily basis )

They are fellow South African's so I'll go easy on them :-p

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• I'm not too sure I'm crazy about this trend. I mean, some of us have a face perfect for radio...

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• 1. Wow, talk about bad acting

2. The cast are definitely ApexSql staff

3. I'm pretty sure that that song is copyrighted.

4. I'm pretty sure that 'Supergirl' is copyrighted.

and most importantly . .

5. I'd definitely fire Sanjeed. No backup and no WHERE clause?

I hope this is just a joke and not really a commercial promoting their product. If this is a commercial, then they are in big trouble. Blatant copyright infringement.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Superman, superwoman, supergirl, superdog...., they are all imaginary, so is Super DBA !!!!!

• Whoa! Wait a second here. Superman is imaginary?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Did you hear the rumour about Father Christmas? Something about him not being real... Imagine!

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• And the biggest imaginary superhero would have to be god.

Someone thought of it. Someone believed it. Look what it's done so far.

(most thought provoking line ever uttered by a muppet)

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• I prefer my technical information in printed form. This is what Youtube is for: Baby Videos

• Dunno about Superman but this stuff sure as hell looks like Kryptonite to me...

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply