SUM(@Month1)

• I am trying to use a variable in a select statement using a sum ... here is the code:

SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT PCTR, SUM(@Month1) AS [Month]

FROM dbo.kc_Bud_EssbaseM3

WHERE (@Month1 <> 0) OR (@Month1 IS NOT NULL)

GROUP BY PCTR

ORDER BY PCTR

The @Month1 has 'Jan' in it, but on execution SQL reports "The sum or average aggregate operation cannot take a varchar data type as an argument." ...

Can someone help please ... I know the answer must be simple, but you help would be great ...

John

• You cannot added 'character' in you cased 'Jan'. Either convert this to numeric or cast it to Integer type.

• The field name is 'Jan' that I want a sum for... it is a float field but called Jan

• You cannot pass a field name into a select using a variable.

One solution would be to pass it in to a dynamic select statement:

declare @sql varchar(8000)

set @SQl =

'SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT PCTR, SUM(' + @Month1 + ') AS [Month]

FROM dbo.kc_Bud_EssbaseM3

WHERE (' + @Month1 + ' <> 0) OR (' + @Month1 + ' IS NOT NULL)

GROUP BY PCTR

ORDER BY PCTR'

exec (@sql)

• With this select statement using EXEC how would I get the result back into another variable ??

Thanks for the help...

• The only way I know of returning a value back from dynamic sql is to use the system sp called sp_executesql. Here's an example:

DECLARE @nvch500SQLStr as nvarchar(500),

@nvch500ParmStr as nvarchar(500),

@nvch20SegValLocal as nvarchar(20)

--This is the select Statement and allows you to use Dynamic SQL AND also return a value from the statement

SET @nvch500SQLStr = N'SELECT @nvch20SegValOUT = CategoryName FROM Northwind.dbo.categories WHERE CategoryID = 1'

--This is where you declare your variables so you can pass data OUT from the Dynamic SQL Script

SET @nvch500ParmStr = N'@nvch20SegValOut as nvarchar(20) OUTPUT'

-- To run the SQLStr, you pass the SQLString and then the parameters and then map the SQLString

-- parameters to your local parameters - you will want to tag your local parameters with Local

-- to make it less confusing, but you could use any name for the mapping, just make sure the

-- data types are the same.

EXECUTE sp_executesql@nvch500SQLStr,

@nvch500ParmStr,

@nvch20SegValout = @nvch20SegValLocal OUTPUT

print @nvch20segvalLocal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply