Stupid Question

• "What about Robyn Page at SimpleTalk.com?"

Can't be real.  That's got to be like when you buy a picture frame there's a photo of a babe in it.  I'm sure I saw the same photo at Aaron Brothers last time I was there.

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • Actually check her bio. She was an actress on a British soap for awhile. I'm going to the UK this summer, so I'll see for myself.

• I thought it was a fluke when almost 75% of the Houston .NET user group wanted to give me their phone numbers because I came to the meeting in a skirt a while back. Yep IT men are how do spell shallow?

So Steve is going to London to verify he he. Hey swing by Oxford and Bond street and on a serious note women in IT gets discouraged and marginalized while barely skilled men are encouraged.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Women in IT get discouraged?

I think it's more a case of there being so few women in IT that they are constantly being hit on and when they knock a few back, the old game of politics comes into play and she is penalised that way. OK - doesn't happen like this all of the time as there was a senior DBA from whom I inherited a position and the only thing missing was the bolts in her neck!

I've got a mate at the moment in IBM and they are treating her like a silly little girl and she's more technically proficient than a lot of the blokes who get sooky and snotty when she doesn't jump in the cot with them.

OK - so that makes 1 gen-u-ine hottie in IT that I know of

As for barely-skilled men being encouraged - ain't that the truth! Technical people usually have nowhere to ascend in an organisation if they wish to retain their technical skills but the more incompetent make politics work for them.

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• Hi Grant its Stella

Hey what happened to our <group hug> chats?  I have a day off and you all start getting serious. 

For your information I'm female (doh) and been in IT since early 70s so I really don't worry about the guys.

Robyn Page was in a soap called 'Family Affairs' which was axed 8 years ago; I thought it was dire. So there's no hope for Steve checking out the scene.

Madame Artois

• Holy Cow! Discussions around the proper placement of the f-bomb in sentence structure in order to communicate with the squids is serious? I clearly need to get out more.

<hug>

I'll be honest here. I'm not that aware of the sexual orientation of the geek next to me. They're compentent or they aren't. Of course, I am more likely to hug Stella than Steve... but really, have you guys seen Steve?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• You can always hug me and I'll hug anyone - even in Australia.  Metaphorically, I have very long arms (but not damp squid hands!!). 

No it was the discussion about guys hitting on you that got me.....at my age I can't afford to be too fussy!!

Madame Artois

• No hugs from Grant

I'm actually going to Cambridge for a Red Gate visit, and not sure I'll spend any time in London. Out Mon, back Sat, so a quick trip.

I'm so sure it's that women aren't encouraged in IT. I think there's definitely some discrimination, but I think I've still see talent encouraged and mediocrity not encouraged.

• Dear Steve

Enjoy your visit to Cambridge and make them take you out in a punt (a sort of gondola but without the opera).

I must admit that I've worked most of my professional life in local government where we had equality of wages and conditions from the early sixties. 

All my life I've worked as largely and sometimes solely with men; they were civil engineers/architects etc.  Universally they encouraged me.  The only time I had any difficulties were when I indirectly challenged management who were not professionally qualified.

Perhaps that might be a clue?

Anyway, <hugs> to Denver!!  Isn't it fun chatting to others round the world!!

Madame Artois

• We're not all shallow!  Give me a call, 555-1212!

• I'm jealous Steve. English beer... Mmmmmm! A few pints of real ale and I'll hug everybody.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• 555-1212 nice guy! lol

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Steve,

If you are going to London, could you bring me a signed picture of the Queen? This is talking about women in IT.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Ooh, Steve, if you're taking orders, grab a keg of something... how about Ruddles County. If not that, use your judgement.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• The only kegs coming back to Denver are Guiness if I can get across the stream to Ireland. Other than that, I'll stick with my Corona from the border below

If anyone can convince Red Gate they're needed instead of me, you can go. Not looking forward to 30 hours of flying for 40 hours of work

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply