Stuck trying to create a date table that shows week numbers for financial years

• Hello All,

Please can you help me with the following challenge:

I need to create a date table to join against for another query.

The table needs to indicate week numbers (for Fridays) for financial years (week 1 being the first in April) and also highlight the 3rd Friday of every month.

I would like to create the table based on a range, for example 01/04/2012 to current date.

The table ideally will look the following or similar:

weeks

The following from another forum is similar:

DECLARE @StartDate DATETIME
    SET @StartDate = '01/01/2013'

DECLARE @EndDate DATETIME
    SET @EndDate = GETDATE()

DECLARE @TableOfDates TABLE(DateValue DATETIME)

DECLARE @CurrentDate DATETIME

SET @CurrentDate = @StartDate

WHILE @CurrentDate <= @EndDate
    BEGIN
    INSERT INTO @TableOfDates(DateValue) VALUES (@CurrentDate)

SET @CurrentDate = DATEADD(DAY, 1, @CurrentDate)
    END

SELECT DateValue,'W'+cast(DATEPART(wk,DateValue) as varchar(30)) as 'week' FROM @TableOfDates

Hopefully someone can help, please let me know if you need any further information?

Thanks in advance

• Please provide DDL and sample data. Pictures are great, but we cannot readily consume them to help with your query

For better, quicker answers, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Hello Mike,

There is no sample data for this one. The table needs to be created dynamically and the image is supplied is ultimately an example of the result set i am looking for.

I would obviously usually provide all source tables, etc.

• The good-ole standard tally table should handle this nicely.  I default to end of calendar year for end date; naturally change that if/as you need to.

DECLARE @end_date date
    DECLARE @start_date date

SET @start_date = '20120401'
    IF @end_date IS NULL
    /* default = last day of current calendar year, adjust as needed to match your requirements */
    SET @end_date = DATEADD(DAY, -1, DATEADD(YEAR, DATEDIFF(YEAR, 0, GETDATE()) + 1, 0))
    /* this would set last day to end of next fiscal year, based on Apr to Mar */
    --SET @end_date = DATEADD(DAY, -1, DATEADD(MONTH, 4, DATEADD(YEAR, DATEDIFF(YEAR, 0, GETDATE()) + 1, 0)))

;WITH
    cte_tally10 AS (
    SELECT * FROM (VALUES(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0),(0)) AS numbers(number)
    ),
    cte_tally1000 AS (
    SELECT 0 AS number UNION ALL
    SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER(ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) AS number
    FROM cte_tally10 c1 CROSS JOIN cte_tally10 c2 CROSS JOIN cte_tally10 c3
    ),
    cte_calc_starting_friday AS (
    SELECT DATEADD(DAY, -DATEDIFF(DAY, 4, DATEADD(DAY, 6, @start_date)) % 7, DATEADD(DAY, 6, @start_date)) AS starting_friday
    )
    SELECT
    YEAR(Date) % 100 + CASE WHEN MONTH(Date) >= 4 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END AS FinancialYear,
    CASE WHEN MONTH(Date) >= 4 THEN MONTH(Date) - 3 ELSE MONTH(Date) + 9 END AS Month,
    t.number + 1 AS Week,
    Date,
    CASE WHEN DAY(Date) BETWEEN 15 AND 21 THEN 'Yes' ELSE 'No' END AS IsThirdFriday
    FROM cte_calc_starting_friday f
    INNER JOIN cte_tally1000 t ON t.number BETWEEN 0 AND DATEDIFF(DAY, starting_friday, @end_date) / 7
    CROSS APPLY (
    SELECT DATEADD(DAY, 7 * t.number, starting_Friday) AS Date
    ) AS calc1
    ORDER BY t.number

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear." "Norm", on "Cheers". Also from "Cheers", from "Carla": "You need to know 3 things about Tortelli men: Tortelli men draw women like flies; Tortelli men treat women like flies; Tortelli men's brains are in their flies".

• Thanks Scott,

That was exactly what I was looking for.

I needed the week number per year (not a running tally of weeks) so the only change i made was  to change the following line,

t.number + 1 AS Week,

to:

DATEPART(wk,Date) AS Week,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply