String Parse

• Hello, Im trying to parse out the weight from a string for each record in the table. I keeping running into a wall and can't get what i need.

Sample data:

CARNATION ICE CREAM CHOCOLATE REGULAR REGULAR 1PT 1790000314

GODIVA ICE CREAM PECAN CARAMEL TRUFLE REGULAR 0.7813PT 4154825833

What im looking to do is extract the "1" and the "0.7813" only. I can't seem to get the position of the space before the weight. My combination of charindex and substring has left me with the incorrect positions. I also had no luck using  "reverse". Thanks in advance.

Ryan

• Try this :

DECLARE @Msg VARCHAR(200)

SET @Msg = 'GODIVA ICE CREAM PECAN CARAMEL TRUFLE REGULAR 0.7813PT 4154825833'

SELECT RIGHT(SUBSTRING(@Msg, 0, CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg)), CHARINDEX(' ',REVERSE(SUBSTRING(@Msg, 0, CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg)))) -1)

---------------------------------------------
    [font="Verdana"]Nothing is impossible.
    It is just a matter of time and money.[/font]

• Jacek0,

Thanks for the quick post. Im not having any luck with your script as of yet. I think you have one too many parameters set because it returns 2 separate outputs. I'm trying to work off of what you have.

Thanks again

• This is strange. I just copied and pasted the code from the post into the query analyzer and it run fine. If you have trouble getting it I can break it up so you can see all the steps that made into the long SELECT.

• DECLARE @Msg VARCHAR(200)

SET @Msg = 'GODIVA ICE CREAM PECAN CARAMEL TRUFLE REGULAR 0.7813PT 4154825833'

SELECT CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg) -- this gets you the position of the PT

SELECT SUBSTRING(@Msg, 0, CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg)) -- this gets rid of the reminder of the string

SELECT REVERSE(SUBSTRING(@Msg, 0, CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg))) -- this flips it

SELECT CHARINDEX(' ',REVERSE(SUBSTRING(@Msg, 0, CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg)))) -- This finds the position of the last space ( first in the flipped string)

SELECT CHARINDEX(' ',REVERSE(SUBSTRING(@Msg, 0, CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg)))) - 1 -- This gets the length of the string you need.

SELECT SUBSTRING(@Msg, 0, CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg) -- this is the same string we got in the second step

SELECT RIGHT(SUBSTRING(@Msg, 0, CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg)), CHARINDEX(' ',REVERSE(SUBSTRING(@Msg, 0, CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg)))) -1) -- gets what you need. (I hope)

• >>SELECT CHARINDEX('PT ', @Msg) -- this gets you the position of the PT

Careful

Product Name= 'ICE CREAM FOR THE INEPT STRING PARSER FUNCTION 55PT 767565' 

(That's tongue in cheek by the way, not suggesting any ineptitude on your part, it happened to be the only word I could think of ending in "PT")

The problem here is that 2 examples aren't sufficient, we need full specs as to what can be in a product string. Is the 1st number in the string always the weight, or may other parts of the name contain a digit ?

Is the Weight always the item after the 1st space if the string is reversed ?

• Of course I made some assumptions on the data. I could not come up with anything that ends in PT and you put in the ice cream.

And you right, working from the other end of the string might be safer.

• The weight always ends in PT and is always before the UPC.

so for 3 dummy examples:

PTPTPTPTPTPT 5.5PT 1234566

PT PT PTP P T 0.7PT 12345656

PTPTP PPP TTT PTP 4PT 123456

• >>The weight always ends in PT and is always before the UPC.

Is there ever anything after the UPC ? Is the UPC always a number with no spaces ?

• Nope, the upc is always last. And its always a number with no spaces.

• Try this; it seems to work with the following selected sample data:

declare @sql varchar(1000), @sql2 varchar(1000)

--select @sql = 'ICE CREAM FOR THE INEPT STRING PARSER FUNCTION 55PT 767565'

--select @sql = 'CARNATION ICE CREAM CHOCOLATE REGULAR REGULAR 1PT 1790000314'

select @sql = 'GODIVA ICE CREAM PECAN CARAMEL TRUFLE REGULAR 0.7813PT 4154825833'

select @sql2 = left(@sql,PATINDEX('%[0-9]PT %', @sql))

select right(@sql2,charindex(' ',reverse(@sql2))-1)

• An alternative, which might be faster if you have a lot of data:

declare @test-2 table (str varchar(100))

insert @test-2 select 'ICE CREAM FOR THE INEPT STRING PARSER FUNCTION 55PT 767565'

insert @test-2 select 'CARNATION ICE CREAM CHOCOLATE REGULAR REGULAR 1PT 1790000314'

insert @test-2 select 'GODIVA ICE CREAM PECAN CARAMEL TRUFLE REGULAR 0.7813PT 4154825833'

select substring(dt.str, dt.ind1 + 1, dt.ind2 - dt.ind1 - 3)

from

(

select T.str, max(case when substring(T.str, N.n - 1, 2) = 'T ' then 0 else N.n end) as ind1, max(N.n) as ind2

from @test-2 T cross join Numbers N

where N.n <= len(T.str) and substring(T.str, N.n, 1) = ' '

group by T.str

)

dt

This uses a Numbers table, which can be created as follows:

SELECT TOP 10000 n = IDENTITY(INT, 1, 1) INTO Numbers

FROM

sysobjects a1

CROSS JOIN

sysobjects a2

CROSS JOIN

sysobjects a3

ALTER TABLE Numbers

ADD CONSTRAINT Index_Numbers PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED(n)

GO

• And here another solution, using REVERSE and SUBSTRING you mentione as problematic (solution with Numbers table is probably more efficient and I'd go for it, if it is possible)

declare @text varchar(1024), @from int, @length int

set @text = 'GODIVA ICE CREAM PECAN CARAMEL TRUFLE REGULAR 0.7813PT 4154825833'

select @from = charindex(' TP', reverse(@text))+3

select @length = charindex(' ', reverse(@text),charindex(' TP', reverse(@text))+3) - @from

select reverse(substring(reverse(@text), @from, @length))

cheers, Vladan

• or

STUFF(STUFF([string],PATINDEX('%[0-9]PT%',[string])+1,255,''),1,PATINDEX('% [.0-9]%PT%',[string]),'')

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Paul Mu,

Your solution works best for me. Thanks for everyone's input!

Ryan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply