Stored Procedures

• JacekO (3/19/2009)

The SQL Server transactions can be called nested transactions but they are not. Plain and simple. If they were nested they should work the way I described. There might be reasons why they can not be trully nested but this is not the point.

So there is no reference or a book to be looked at.

So you're saying you came up with your definition of "nested transactions" out of the blue, with no input from anyone or anything?

If there is no supporting documentation for your definition of nested transactions, then I'm going to have to reject your definition and fall back on the way I was taught. You're arguing a semantic point that can't be proven, therefore, the majority rules on this definition.

However, if you can provide more information on where you came up with your definition, I would really be happy to look at it and make up my own mind outside of all the arguments previously posted on this thread.

Thanks,

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Lee,

Overall your code looks fine (assuming I filtered out all your gutting properly)

Few comments:

1. Set BEGIN TRANSACTION as close to the statements that do INSERTS or UPDATES as possible.

2. When you have GOTO like in the below example you do not need the ELSE section . It adds additional lines of code and clutters the SP. The bolded code could be removed. I also do not like to use the GOTO. If overused the logic gets hard to follow.

IF @@ERROR <> 0

BEGIN

Select @errorNumber = @@ERROR

SET @errorMessage = @errorMessage + 'Warning: Insert of Project Code '+@memvar 3+'.'+@memvar 1+' to TABLE 5 Table Failed' + CHAR(13)+CHAR(10)

GOTO ErrorHandler

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SET @blnInsertedB = 1

SET @blnExistsBRecord = 1

GOTO Finis

END

3. I think you mentioned a need of nesting stored procedures but I do not see you doing it here.

---------------------------------------------
    [font="Verdana"]Nothing is impossible.
    It is just a matter of time and money.[/font]

• lee.pollack (3/19/2009)

please remember that my company is still using sql2000 - so WHILE does not exist for me

Lee,

You can also nest IF...ELSE statements and CASE statements. It could be anything. I was just using WHILE as an example.

So, going by IF...ELSE, the psuedocode would be:

IF Condition1 = True -- outside IF

Begin

If Condition2 = True -- inside IF

Begin

--some code here

End

Else --inner IF...ELSE

Begin

IF Condition3 = true --Third level nested

.... --assumming 3rd leve statement is written out correctly

End --end second level nested

End --end first level nested (outer)

As far as your "assume the variables are correct" comment goes, unfortunately, if you want us to truly help you with that stored procedure, you're going to have to clean it up a little more. Otherwise other posters will get confused too and try to help you with the wrong problem.

If you want to risk getting a lot of incorrect replies, then leave it as it is, though.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• lee.pollack (3/19/2009)

please remember that my company is still using sql2000 - so WHILE does not exist for me

"While" works in SQL 2000. Used to use it all the time in an SQL 2000 database, before I figured out better ways to get the same stuff done.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Brandie,

At one post I stated that SQL does not nest transactions and I proved my point. I have nothing else to say on this matter. I know and understand how the SQL Server 'nested transactions work'. There is a differnece between the term 'nested transactions' used in SQL Server and nesting transactions. I am sorry you do not see it.

• You're absolutely right, JacekO. There's nothing left to be said on the subject except, from what I read, you are the only person you proved your point to. I didn't see a single reply from anyone that indicated you'd actually convinced them.

That was the reason I asked for your sources. So I could prove or disprove the point for myself.

But, enough with dead horses. I've got a glue factory to run. @=)

• I used the GOTO's to separate the code and make it more readable. I absolutely hate not using indentation - that makes code very hard to read no matter how good one is - just an opinion.

Original code had to be rearranged and the inserts and tests had to follow a specific order, something that was unknown at the time. That is why I want separate SP so I could move things around at will

• You can use dedicated SPs to do just the inserts or updates and call them conditionally based on the logic in the main SP. That will make your code more readable and easied to test and debug if needed. As far as the indentation goes I love a lot of white spaces in the code so it does not look like spagetti.

I also use a lot of comments to make code more readable

For example I always try to label the BEGINs and ENDs to make sure I got the logic in the right place especially if they are nested (here we go again - the forbiden and misunderstood word...)

BEGIN ---MailChecks

BEGIN ---BuyMilk

BEGIN ---RakeTheGarden

BEGIN ---PaintTheHouse

END ---PaintTheHouse

END ---RakeTheGarden

END ---BuyMilk

END ---MailChecks

• Brandie Tarvin (3/19/2009)

JacekO (3/19/2009)

From my point of view they are not nested but maybe I could call them chained. To explain how I understand the term nested I provided an example in a pseudocode.

JacekO, I don't want to just look at your pseudocode. I want to know where you got these definitions and who taught them to you.

Please give me references, book titles, names, websites and such so I can go back and see why you believe the way you do.

I'm not saying you're wrong and GSquared is right. I'm saying, I want to know the source of your understanding. Every SQL person I've ever met defines nested transactions the way GSquared does. I want to see where your information came from.

Please provide more information so I can research. Thanks, @=)

'Though on the surface it appears otherwise, SQL Server doesn't support truly nested transactions.' -Ken Henderson. The Guru's Guide to SQL Server Architecture and Internals. Page 514, last paragraph on the page.

• ABSOLUTELY

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 99 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply