Stored Procedure - variable assignments- Help !

• I have a stored procedure  in SQL server 2000 that has a statement like this

SET @mySQL = 'SELECT  sum ( CAST (file_size_bytes as bigint))/1024 as image_size,  count( Image_Filename) as tif_total    from ' + @filename +

'  WHERE  Image_Filename LIKE ''%tif'' AND  Daily_Date_Transferred BETWEEN  '' ' + @beg_date + '''  and  '''  + @end_date  + '''' 

EXEC @mySQL

This has to be a dynamic SQL statement since it depends on variables obtained from the previous fetch .

The problem that  I have is I need to assign variables to the 2 values that I get from the SQL statement and use them later on. Whenever I use the = and assign a variable I get errors.

• When returning variables from dynamic SQL, it is easier and cleaner to use the sp_executeSQL stored proc. 

Declare @mySQL nvarchar(500)

Declare @myParms nvarchar(100)

Declare @var1 int, @var2 int

SET @mySQL = N'SELECT  @sz = sum ( CAST (file_size_bytes as bigint))/1024 as image_size,  @CT = count( Image_Filename) as tif_total    from ' + @filename +

'  WHERE  Image_Filename LIKE ''%tif'' AND  Daily_Date_Transferred BETWEEN  '' ' + @beg_date + '''  and  '''  + @end_date  + '''' 

Set @myParms = N'@Sz int output, @CT int output'

EXEC sp_executesql @mySQL, @myParms, @sz = @var1, @CT = @var2

-- Var1 and Var2 now contain the values generated by the SQL...

• Thanku for your response. When I tried sp_executesql just as you have mentioned above, I get the following error:

Server: Msg 141, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

A SELECT statement that assigns a value to a variable must not be combined with data-retrieval operations.

I would appreciate any help on this.

This method would save me a lot of processing involved with putting this information in a temp table and manipulating that date to get the results that I want.

• Try a slight modification of brendthess's suggestion:

Declare @mySQL nvarchar(500)

Declare @myParms nvarchar(100)

Declare @sz int, @CT int

SET @mySQL = N'SELECT  @sz = sum ( CAST (file_size_bytes as bigint))/1024 as image_size,  @CT = count( Image_Filename) as tif_total    from ' + @filename +

Set @myParms = N'@Sz int output, @CT int output'

EXEC sp_executesql @mySQL, @myParms, @sz = @sz output , @CT = @CT  output

-- @sz and @CT  now contain the values generated by the SQL...

Note the 'output' parameter in the sp_executesql statement.   Also the @sz and @CT parameters are defined outside the scope of the Set @mySQL statement.  There are actually 2 versions of @sz and @CTbrendthess tried to make this clear by using @var1 and @var2 but the variables were not defined correctly.  I find it easier sometimes to give them the same name, but you can experiment with this if you want to use @var1 and @var2 outside the scope of the dynamic SQL.

Francis

• thanks to both of you . defining the variables  as OUTPUT makes it work now !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply