Starting Point For SSIS Package Template

• I am investigating creating an SSIS package template for our organization. What is a good starting point? Creating a template with variables and a connection to the configuration database? Include logging/custom logging and error-handling? Error-handling would be on the entire package, right?

Any guidance on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I know how to create the package template. I am just wondering about the components/tasks that I need to put in the package template.

Thanks...Chris

• The template package that we use contains;

- a number of variables that are used for logging and error handling

- an initial execute sql task that logs the start of the package to an audit table

- a final execute sql task that logs the completion of the package and any errors associated with it

-A generic container that holds the data flow that has error handling attached to it with a send email task setup

-Error handling on the whole package that logs to and error table

-A smtp connection

so all we have to do when creating a new package is create the dataflow and set the emailto and emailfrom variables to have a complete package.

Overall this works well and has cut development time

• Thanks, SteveB.

• Wonderful Steve.

Raunak J

• steveb. (9/20/2011)

The template package that we use contains;

- a number of variables that are used for logging and error handling

- an initial execute sql task that logs the start of the package to an audit table

- a final execute sql task that logs the completion of the package and any errors associated with it

-A generic container that holds the data flow that has error handling attached to it with a send email task setup

-Error handling on the whole package that logs to and error table

-A smtp connection

so all we have to do when creating a new package is create the dataflow and set the emailto and emailfrom variables to have a complete package.

Overall this works well and has cut development time

I have about the same. I have also a connection manager to the configuration table, and usually a connection manager to the log database and optionally one for the MSDB database (for executing child packages).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks, guys.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply