Start SSMS Activity Monitor with Task State = (NonBlanks)

• I've been searching for this and cannot find any mention or discussion on it yet. So, I'll try here where I seem to have the best results for help...  I would like to have Activity Monitor start with the 'Task State' column having the '(NonBlanks)' filter selected by default [rather than (All)]. Does anyone know of a way to make this happen?

Thanks in advance

Scott Dragoo

Scott B Dragoo
    Enterprise Architect
    Vitality Group
    http://www.thevitalitygroup.com

• My opinion - don't use activity monitor. It is a performance suck on the server and long term runs can cause issues in SSMS too. Plus, some of the metrics it gives you can be misleading.

IF you need realtime, constant monitoring of SQL Server, invest in a monitoring tool. If you want point in time view of what's running on a SQL instance, use some queries to do it (Brent Ozar has a few good scripts for that, or you can write up your own to capture what you care about).

I know it sounds like I'm being a Brent Ozar fanboy, but he has some good scripts and good advice on Activity Monitor. A good blog post to read about this is this one - https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2014/10/why-i-dont-use-sql-server-activity-monitor/. And old one (2014), but still relevant.

My GUESS as to why you are having trouble finding advice on activity monitor is because most seasoned DBA's don't use it. It's kind of like Profiler - it was a great tool back in the day (and I still use it from time to time even though I know I shouldn't), but Extended Events (aka XE) is the tool you should be using. I am trying to re-train myself to use XE instead of Profiler wherever possible, but every now and then, SSMS acts up on me and I'm in a hurry to figure out what's up and I'll turn on old faithful - Profiler... then feel dirty afterwards...

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply